• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

So, you guys got me impatient and I finally did the head swap this evening.
I compared rigorously my current head filter and the new "modified" one received this week from Oase and couldn't spot any difference in terms of design.
I emailed Oase to know more about this new modified head.
I fitted the new one and so far can't notice any difference.
It'll probably need few days before I can make up my mind.
2845b0be828a5a00ffbcfa43f497e1a6.jpg
bbcb483be54bbe72fd5c7623466a3029.jpg
aa8c5ceba11bb44986f69435490f4dc9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is the new head suppose to solve the air issue? When I ran that filter I also had that issue sporadically.

I still really wish they would do a higher flow rate version, not a fan of having the heater in the tank :(

So, you guys got me impatient and I finally did the head swap this evening.
I compared rigorously my current head filter and the new "modified" one received this week from Oase and couldn't spot any difference in terms of design.
I emailed Oase to know more about this new modified head.
I fitted the new one and so far can't notice any difference.
It'll probably need few days before I can make up my mind.
2845b0be828a5a00ffbcfa43f497e1a6.jpg
bbcb483be54bbe72fd5c7623466a3029.jpg
aa8c5ceba11bb44986f69435490f4dc9.jpg

Has the new filter head made a difference? I’m still having problems with mine.

Hi,
I dont think that new head will resolve that problem. Atleast not if you change just motor head.
Prefilter need to be modified also. I mean it should be modified by Oase originally.

I think that the main problem is - prefilter !
That thiny tube (which "Ponguru" drilled in his video )is just too small in diameter and just not have enough holes. I am not an engineer so I dont know exactly where and why. Maybe some vortex or something due high flow entering tiny pipe inside prefilter.
Its obvious way Oase dont have answer when you ask them about air problem.
They wont recommend modification like Ponduru. Oase should aprouch with new design and few modifications on head and prefilter

I find solution with custom made tube with slightly larger diameter. I guess that all of you having problems with air sucking/purging have Biomaster 600 model.
I originaly bought 350, but after time like many others - find that flow is not great.
So I bought used 600 head from xbay(but I think that guy is member of this forum ) and I dont have any problems with air with modified prefilter.
Btw,
250 and 350 models are not affected with air sucking problem - confirmed
Probably due weaker motor/flow.

IMG_20190521_155623.jpg
IMG_20190521_155706.jpg
IMG_20190521_155817.jpg
IMG_20190521_155833.jpg
IMG_20190521_155623.jpg
IMG_20190521_155706.jpg
IMG_20190521_155817.jpg
IMG_20190521_155833.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, everyone!
I have Oase BioMaster Thermo 600 for my 200 liters planted aquarium in which I inject CO2 with an inline atomizer.
I see the following ... during the photoperiod when the CO2 is switched on,
the filter periodically throws out many balloonas.
As if he was throwing air into a trap, maybe it's air or CO2, I don't know.
Has anyone ever seen anything like that?
I've seen something like that in George Farmer's videos of his 600p aquarium, but with my filter it happens very often. Only during the dark period does not happen, but then the CO2 is off.

Sorry for my English
YES! I'm currently having the same problem. I don't know what to do. Mine is constantly purging air!

Apparently Oase didn't send me the modified head by mistake.
More to follow... ;)

Did you ever find out more about this? I am thinking about switching back as the internal heater (although possibly a bit flawed) would free up a decent bit of space in my new scape

Did you ever find out more about this? I am thinking about switching back as the internal heater (although possibly a bit flawed) would free up a decent bit of space in my new scape
I received yesterday the new upgraded Thermo 600 head. Currently testing it for few days/weeks before confirming improvement.

I received yesterday the new upgraded Thermo 600 head. Currently testing it for few days/weeks before confirming improvement.

Ah cool awesome! Were there any visible signs of changes? I wonder if I get in touch with them whether they would swap mine out as I complained about air issues a lot.

Ah cool awesome! Were there any visible signs of changes? I wonder if I get in touch with them whether they would swap mine out as I complained about air issues a lot.
Yes there is a visible upgrade but I'd say wait for confirmation that this is fixing the issue.
I also found out that you need to make sure this filter has enough inflow otherwise it sucks air.
For example, I improved slightly my surface skimmer flow and it reduced a lot the amount of air trapped in the canister
3d84e4e91bf0be9a3ffefeede9f6cfb0.jpg
3d0b5b29ee76380a224cee8978aa4249.jpg

Yes there is a visible upgrade but I'd say wait for confirmation that this is fixing the issue.
I also found out that you need to make sure this filter has enough inflow otherwise it sucks air.
For example, I improved slightly my surface skimmer flow and it reduced a lot the amount of air trapped in the canister
3d84e4e91bf0be9a3ffefeede9f6cfb0.jpg
3d0b5b29ee76380a224cee8978aa4249.jpg

Interesting! Looks like a new way of clamping the impeller cover?

Yeah I think air getting in due to blocked inflow can be a common thing in every filter. I had some crypt melt recently and it clogged the inflow pipe and the filter was blasting air out every few minutes. Previously with the oase it was just doing it randomly even when it was spotlessly clean. Hope the new one works!

Am I right in saying that filter has a steel impeller shaft? If so I’m not a fan of those, they don’t seem to last as long as the ceramic ones.

From past experience even the Ceramic shafts wear, just not quite as fast as the steel ones. Maybe it depends on make though, some may use cheaper (softer) steel. Excess wear becomes evident when the impeller starts rattling.

I got in touch with Oase again and they will be sending me the new design so hopefully I can use the filter again and remove this ugly heater from my scape :)

What was wrong with yours fishbro and which one was it

It’s the 600 thermo. I’ve had a few issues with it, like a weird noise every so often, but the main issue was constant purging of bubbles. Every 10-15 mins it would do this and no matter what I tried it continued so in the end I changed to a different filter. I’m hoping this new head solves the issue and I can go back to having a heated filter!

Back