• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Disconnected that over a year ago. Too many leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like the only things remaining are the main filter body and the 'overhangs'.
I'm unsure how the 'overhangs' are built with the adjustment valve built in; I might have a look at that too if my other ideas don't help.
The main filter body could hold it's own problems I guess. o_O

I thought it was simple but not bottomed it out. I two theories 1) the trays interlocking together don’t seal causing further intakes or 2) the piping isnt sealing very well. The nut that locks it in place can push the pipe away slightly causing it not to seal as well as it could. At the moment I favour the latter.

To reply to this;
1. The trays don't need to seal as there isn't anything to seal, they should sit flat though to make sure they don't put force on the lid and stop that from sealing correctly.
2. That's simple to prove; just use a different hose, wet the ends before you push them over the connectors which will ensure they seal and don't tighten the nuts- they are only there to stop the hose being easily pulled off.

Are you still thinking about trying to get to the bottom of this?
If you are then I can report back on my findings if you like?

Curious on “don’t tighten the nuts”

The nuts that you say lock the hose in place are only really there to stop the hose being pulled off so if you don't put force on the hose then they will stay there and you can then rule out your worry about the hose not sealing as well as it could.
Just wet the ends of the hose before you push them on.

If you do think the overhangs could be an issue then why not just try putting the hose straight into the tank just as an experiment.

These are all just ideas to see if you can find the cause of your problem; assuming you want to?

nuts that you say lock the hose in place are only really there to stop the hose being pulled off
there are reports of the hoses coming off despite the nuts and hoses being properly assembled

I suspect it’s just QC issue in the manufacture ... which can/do happen with every filter, light, heater etc etc
Without knowing numbers of units sold it’s impossible to determine the frequency of fault level

Was thinking about getting one of these filters after Christmas. Either the oase 600 thermo or a eheim 350 Thermo, i have read that the build quality on the new eheims is not as good as it used to be. So was going to go with the oase after reading this not sure about that either lol.
Anyone tried putting co2 through these filters? With the pre filter design and the way the water flows through the filter I would have thought it would work well used that way too.

I’ve had the pipes come off when I’ve been doing maintenance BUT that was when using a thinner grade of tubing.
I think the turning movement of the pipe fixing was slowly working them loose. That and me moving the filter around!

Since correcting to the the standard 16/22 (what comes as standard in the box) those pipes are not budging.

I seem to randomly get phases of the filter burping out bubbles. It’s really strange. Right now it’s been fine for 3 weeks but today it’s started again. Unfortunately I’m limited on my filter choice right now due to the cabinet I have. Hopefully going to get a roma 200 soon and I’d either go with an fx6 or one of the new aquael filters (or both?). I do believe my algae issue is being made worse by the low flow rate as no matter how I set up the output the tank is just full of dead spots

does it not seem strange that the only part that has not been changed by @DavidG are the 'overhangs' as he calls them?
There is a way air can get in; I'm sure these could possibly be a problem as they have a flow adjustment valve built in and anywhere there's a valve there has to be a way of getting the motion of turning the valve on the outside of the overhang to the action of turning the valve inside the overhang - I hope this makes sense.
I am just using these as a temporary measure until my glassware arrives and am yet to try messing around anymore than turning the valve a tiny bit last night which I think helped a tiny bit strangely so I might try and replace the hose and connect it straight to the intake without the overhang.
I'm unsure if people are still having the problems with bubbles without using the supplied hose and overhangs?

Was thinking about getting one of these filters after Christmas. Either the thermo or a eheim 350 Thermo, i have read that the build quality on the new eheims is not as good as it used to be. So was going to go with the oase after reading this not sure about that either lol.
Anyone tried putting co2 through these filters? With the pre filter design and the way the water flows through the filter I would have thought it would work well used that way too.

I am in the same boat thought I found the next best thing oase 600 was looking to order 1 for a new set up but know im back at where i started I just not sure on whats good anymore?

I have the Thermo 600 and have also air in the filter which then goes out in the tank.
However I think I know where my problem comes from.
I have on the outflow a glass lily pipe and on the inflow a glass surface skimmer.
The skimmer is located near plants and the bottom grid gets very often partially blocked by lose leaves which then make the top skimmer part to absorb higher flow with air and Co2 bubbles.

On the topic of eheim filters I’ll just say that I got a Professional 4 a few months ago (I think it was the 350t) and it was broken out of the box and wouldn’t prime. The valve was snapped clean off. So as much as I like eheim that was kind of off putting lol

I think part of the problem after having an experiment and a chat with @DavidG are the 'overhangs' as he calls them. I adjusted the flow the tiniest bit on mine and things I think have improved so hopefully when I swap over to lily pipes aside from the one with a skimmer running on could just be solved.
@DavidG might fill us in on what happened when he put his overhangs onto a different filter to check the theory! ;)
I can't think these filters can be that bad with the likes of @George Farmer and @Aquarium Gardens pushing them to the public. ;)
They do say it takes 1000 bad words to meet 1 good word.

On the topic of eheim filters I’ll just say that I got a Professional 4 a few months ago (I think it was the 350t) and it was broken out of the box and wouldn’t prime. The valve was snapped clean off. So as much as I like eheim that was kind of off putting lol

i've got a 250t and 350t running at the minute which i've had for nearly a year now and fingers crossed both have been great and priming has been as simple as can be with them, can't fault the build quality at all.

Re Eheims, I noticed that Green Aqua have set up most of their new showroom tanks with Eheim 2080’s :)

Whichever filter you purchase choose a retailer that will support the product ... that goes a long ways towards sorting any potential problems

Is anyone else still having issues with air getting into the filter? I've done away with the supplied hose and fittings which i swapped for silicone and glassware (no skimmer attachment) so its not getting in there.
I've rocked it until it's all full of water then an hour later there's air in it again.
I'm not so sure these filters are everything people have made them out to be.

I maintain 10 in the shop and 2 at home. The only noise (sounds like water trickling) is when filter (usually prefilter) needs cleaning. It’s desperate to make a noise also. You’d need to be seriously lazy to get to that stage!

Shop runs on standard prefilter, home on the courser ones. Makes no difference.

I think the reputation may come from the first match a couple of years ago. Just going by age of posts on internet.
Since then no problems that I’ve seen.

Trapped air noise is exactly like my Eheim and just needs tilting.

Hope that helps.

I almost tagged you in this @Siege as I know you run them in the shop. The pre filters are all clean so it's not them.
To be clear the way I know more air has entered the filter is by giving it a rock back/forth but if I don't daily it will build up and make a right old racket.
I'd rubbished the bad words I'd read as so many people like yourselves are running them. This is just experience now and I'm beginning to regret changing over to them.
Am I alone here now with the problems?

Andy, I’ve given up on the OASE. I thought the solution was the inlet/outlet but it restarted soon after the swap to another brand. The real worry is that OASE don’t know what the issue is and have thrown the towel in and agreed a refund 23 months after its purchase. This will be taken back to the LFS after Christmas. It’s a shame because principally its a good filter just isn’t the case in practice.

Back