• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Hi Guys
I’ve just bought an Oase thermo 850 filter and the first thing I realised when I turned it on was a very annoying humming noise. I have checked the piping and isolation and all seem to be ok.
the only thing I did different was replacing those plastic media that comes with it. I replaced them with ADA rio I had.
Has anybody else noticed the same noise ??

Hi Guys
I’ve just bought an Oase thermo 850 filter and the first thing I realised when I turned it on was a very annoying humming noise. I have checked the piping and isolation and all seem to be ok.
the only thing I did different was replacing those plastic media that comes with it. I replaced them with ADA rio I had.
I'm unsure whether the bio rio would be too obstructive to flow or not in, if you are concerned this maybe a cause then remove it from the filter, store it in some tank water for a while and run it again to see if you have the same problem.
As with all new pumps or filters, try letting it settle in for a week or so and see if this helps. ;)

Hi Guys

I can’t answer your question I’m afraid, but this the first time I’ve read of an ‘850’ model - is this a new model?

The humming could be from a new pump design if this is a new model. Alternatively have you tried tipping the unit forward slightly to see if any trapped air needs purging?

As an aside I wonder if this new ‘850’ headtop, will fit on the 600 chassis as an upgrade?

Hi everyone, new here.

Recently purchased an Oase Biomaster 600 Thermo to replace my Eheim Pro4+ 350 for want of that handy prefilter, heater out of the tank & more internal room -trays(options) etc

Tank is in the living room and silence is something I can appreciate.

If I were to score the sound level out of 10 (10 being the most quiet):

Pro4+ = 8.5/10 (I can’t hear it until I open cabinet)
600 = 6.5-7/10 (I can hear it humming from outside the living room)

(also have an Eheim Classic 600 = 5/10, I can hear it from upstairs lol[replaced impeller & shaft multiple times, no luck])

Does anyone have any insight as to the quietness between the 2 filters?
Am I to settle for it as it is or would you say I shouldn’t be hearing it from the sofa?

ps. I do have the rubber feet on and it’s also on top of some filter foam

That is weird, I used to have the pro 4 600 in the same room as the oase 600. Id have put them pretty much equal, both really quiet.

The new 850 is the same as 600 can barely hear it.

I think the problems with noise are down to quality control; you could buy two of the same model and get one silent and one noisy one. Or one that gives years of reliable service and one that lets you down.

Well I certainly wish to opt for years of reliable service more than a noise I can pretend I cant hear :)

I think I’ll change the inlet strainer of the Oase to that of the black Eheim one and corresponding plastic pipe work.

Those slits on the strainer seem very small in comparison to the Eheims. And I’m not sure it’s efficient having water do 2 90degree turns in relatively narrow pipe work to leave the tank down to the filter. Again it’s the same when water is pushed up through the same black overhang and into the included spray bar (which has a 3rd 90degree right angle to negotiate)

In my head I’m thinking the 600 is working hard with water flow thus creating abit more noise than I would want to hear. Then again I am of the “if it’s not broken, but let’s take a look anyway” approach lol

That is weird, I used to have the pro 4 600 in the same room as the oase 600. Id have put them pretty much equal, both really quiet.

The new 850 is the same as 600 can barely hear it.

Steve, what is the flow rate like on this new 850 vs the 600 - is it noticeably higher like the 25% increase in output spec suggests? Also is the 55mm difference in unit height basically just an additional media basket in the cannister?

Hi all,
hose slits on the strainer seem very small in comparison to the Eheims. And I’m not sure it’s efficient having water do 2 90degree turns in relatively narrow pipe work to leave the tank down to the filter. Again it’s the same when water is pushed up through the same black overhang and into the included spray bar (which has a 3rd 90degree right angle to negotiate)
It isn't ideal, you are right you want as fewer bends as possible.

It isn't a <"filter that I own">, but I'd definitely change the pre-filter sponge for a <"coarser PPI sponge">.

Personally I'm not a <"fan of floss in a filter"> (I'll be honest I'm not a fan of floss full stop). Because we keep planted tanks we are much <"less dependent on the filter"> for biological filtration.

cheers Darrel

I changed the pre filter for a coarser sponge,and tbh,didn't notice any difference.
However...with the standard sponges,flow would drop off much sooner,so would need cleaning more often.
Upside was,the main canister stayed cleaner for longer..which is the reason for having a pre filter in the first place. Imo.

I changed the pre filter for a coarser sponge,and tbh,didn't notice any difference.
However...with the standard sponges,flow would drop off much sooner,so would need cleaning more often.
Upside was,the main canister stayed cleaner for longer..which is the reason for having a pre filter in the first place. Imo.

I found exactly the same - I didn't really notice much difference with the coarser orange pre-filter foam, so I moved back to the finer blue foam, and it definitely stops more detritus getting through to the main filter. I cleaned my main filter out after two months, and there was very little in there relatively speaking, the media, and even the bottom sponge, were still relatively clean.

I clean the pre-filter every week as standard, so I never notice a drop off in flow - that could be because I modded the pre-filter inner tube with lots more holes, so there are more paths though the foam if some clog earlier on.

According to the Oase website, the 850 is only taller than the 600, others dimensions are the same, so I suspect it would fit,
. . . what is the flow rate like on this new 850 vs the 600 - is it noticeably higher like the 25% increase in output spec suggests? Also is the 55mm difference in unit height basically just an additional media basket in the cannister?

So to answer my own queries, I took possession of a new 850 unit yesterday.

1. The 850 pump head is an identical form factor to the 600, so fits on the 600 body without issue.

2. The resulting flow rate with the 850 pump head on the 600 body is is notably higher than with the 600 pump head (which is to be expected I guess).

3. The 55mm height difference of the 850 over the 600 is literally just one additional filter basket internally.

Just so no one thinks I'm going mad, my high tech tank is struggling for space in the cabinet, but needed a little more flow/distribution in tank. I'm also setting up a new low tech tank in my sons room, so need much less flow for that, and there is no height/space restriction there. So it made sense for me to have the 850 head on the 600 body for my high tech, and use the 600 head on the 850 body for my sons low tech.

^^ Incidentally, the 850 came with 6x new orange pre-filter sponges. If any owners on here have an unused set of the light blue prefilter sponges and wants to do a swap, drop me a PM.

hi all, i have recently started a new aquarium, 182 liters, and have the oase biomaster thermo 350. it has been running for 3 weeks approximately. in the first week i wanted to add purigen, but it went through the seachem bag, so in the end i kept all the original filter media. whilst doing that i rinsed the filters.

today after a 50% water change i realised that the outlet flow is very weak. any ideas why that's happening?

i read somewhere that i should probably clean the filter, but is it possible that after only 2 weeks it has become so dirty, that the performance is affected?

Back