• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

You would to find a 60Hz to 50Hz converter unit, they do exist, maybe not too expensive as not much power is required.

You could just try running it on 60Hz, it will just run faster, hopefully shouldn't be too much of an an issue.

Or get a 60Hz 110V US model and a low cost 230V to 110V transformer
I am looking for a device that converts 60 to 50
The filter can work at 60 but
Shelf life of the filter head
Supposed to work 5 years
on a different frequency
Works possible 2 years
And it stops working
And after two days, I receive the filter

Wow, I have just finished reading through this thread and whilst there are quite a few people who are happy with their Oase filters, it seems that the majority of you are having problems and that these problems have been linked to these filters from the get go. Disappointing as I was thinking of getting one of these for my set up.

For the guys who have changed from Oase to a different brand, which have you changed to?

why oh why can’t these manufacturers make a perfect filter, LOL 😂.

Anyone tried this for the air burping/purging problem?

Its in Portuguese, but basically a shop owner claims that the issue of the air, is in the O-ring of the pre-filter that gets damaged quite easily and then starts allowing air in.

They advise to lubricate the o-ring if still intact or just replace the ring if already damaged.

I´m on the fence of buying one and the air issues plus noise complains are keeping me off hitting the trigger.

Last edited:
Anyone tried this for the air burping/purging problem?

Its in Portuguese, but basically a shop owner claims that the issue of the air, is in the O-ring of the pre-filter that gets damaged quite easily and then starts allowing air in.

They advise to lubricate the o-ring if still intact or just replace the ring if already damaged.

I´m on the fence of buying one and the air issues plus noise complains are keeping me off hitting the trigger.

Going to try this on my 850 as the air is driving me mad..

Please report back after trying.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
Just reporting back my findings. After lubricating priming button and also re-lubricating heater, pre-filter and in/outlet seals I still hear occasional burps. I'm not yet 100% sure but I think my air problem is coming from somewhere else. I couldn't hear any burps while the CO2 was off. But it starts burping in the mid of photo period when CO2 is on. I have external reactor which supposed to dissolve CO2 before it enters the tank and I can't see any bubbles until the burping time comes. Then I see loads of micro bubble coming out of the spray bar and it doesn't matter if filter burped or not, bubbles just keep coming.. Could be that the bubbles are just result of photosynthesis but I can't see much of pearling

I still think is the dissolved gas in the water, being released inside the canister by a pressure change, similar effect to the one happening when you open a fizzy drink. The gas is... O2 or CO2? No idea...😞

I still think is the dissolved gas in the water, being released inside the canister by a pressure change, similar effect to the one happening when you open a fizzy drink. The gas is... O2 or CO2? No idea...😞
If that’s the case then this will happen with any filter right?

Placing the pump at the bottom of the unit should help with this as it would mean less places for gas to get caught as in a conventional filter they rise to the top of the head unit and gather then cause a burp into the impeller?

Placing the pump at the bottom of the unit should help with this as it would mean less places for gas to get caught as in a conventional filter they rise to the top of the head unit and gather then cause a burp into the impeller?

But all that I know off, have the pump on top on the head unit. With the aquael you don’t experience the same. It’s strange you experience it only at the middle of the photoperiod and that points more toward O2 that starts to be released being aspirated by the inflow and accumulating inside. Could that be the case?

Last edited:
Ok i was itching to try an Oase biomaster thermo 600, so just ordered one as black friday deal. Its been running for a few hours and my first impression is that its noise level seems acceptable. I have it running along with an Ultramax and noise levels are indeed different. I have shut down both in turn and you can definitely tell the difference between both, being the Oase noisier. I do use foam bellow both and cabinet is partially sound insulated (maybe i will be using insulation on the other side and front door as well but still not sure). Its still early on to take conclusion and i will be paying special attention to noise and the burping problem.

I decided not to use the provided white (K1?) media. I figured out that a bunch of plastic ball inside of a filter, rolling with the flow could potentially increase noise levels. Anyone did compare filter with plastic media and without?

Oase biomaster thermo 600 next to Aquael ultramax 2000. They are pretty much the same size.

PS: CO2 reactor is just placed there as a trial (not connected yet) since i still have to figure out where to place it so that tubes wont bend. Hose are still on the long side till i find the optimal final configuration. Maybe i will place the CO2 bottle on the outside so i can push filter forward and the CO2 reactor has more space.

IMG_0785.jpg

Last edited:
Ok i was itching to try an Oase biomaster thermo 600, so just ordered one as black friday deal. Its been running for a few hours and my first impression is that its noise level seems quite acceptable. I have it running along with an Ultramax and subjectively noise levels dont seem to be very different. I do use foam bellow both and cabinet is partially sound insulated (maybe i will be using insulation on the other side and front door as well but still not sure). Its still early on to take conclusion and i will be paying special attention to noise and the burping problem.

I decided not to use the provided white (K1?) media. I figured out that a bunch of plastic ball inside of a filter, rolling with the flow could potentially increase noise levels. Anyone did compare filter with plastic media and without?

Oase biomaster thermo 600 next to Aquael ultramax 2000. They are pretty much the same size.

PS: CO2 reactor is just placed there as a trial (not connected yet) since i still have to figure out where to place it so that tubes wont bend. Hose are still on the long side till i find the optimal final configuration. Maybe i will place the CO2 bottle on the outside so i can push filter forward and the CO2 reactor has more space.

View attachment 177784
I had combo of original media plus matrix then switched to matrix only. Haven’t noticed any reduction in noise. So I guess K1 media is not rattling inside

Updated the initial impressions to address an imprecision on the feedback. I have taken some extra time to look into them, and indeed Aquael ultramax is definitely more silent than Oase biomaster. Somehow Oase makes more vibration. Still i was afraid that noise levels would be worse based on some reports. Again its still too early to tell. I have now attached the Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor to the biomaster and will see how does it handle the reactor.

Just reporting back my findings. After lubricating priming button and also re-lubricating heater, pre-filter and in/outlet seals I still hear occasional burps. I'm not yet 100% sure but I think my air problem is coming from somewhere else. I couldn't hear any burps while the CO2 was off. But it starts burping in the mid of photo period when CO2 is on. I have external reactor which supposed to dissolve CO2 before it enters the tank and I can't see any bubbles until the burping time comes. Then I see loads of micro bubble coming out of the spray bar and it doesn't matter if filter burped or not, bubbles just keep coming.. Could be that the bubbles are just result of photosynthesis but I can't see much of pearling
OK I think I nailed it. Two days without air purges except very occasional tiny burps which must be caused by CO2 and O2 produced by plants. I can see loads of micro bubbles in the water which are most likely sucked into inlet. So compared with what was before it’s great relief 😮‍💨 So, what have I done?
  • generously re-lubricated heater seal, pre-filter seal, in/outlet seals, head gasket
  • relocated the filter inside cabinet so it’s as close as possible to the centre of cabinet and shortened the hoses to make them as straight as possible (short as possible)
  • replaced original Oase in/outlet hose clips with jubilee hose clips 18-25mm
  • tightened original Oase hose clips on in/outlet pipes in the aquarium (run out of jubilee clips 😁 )
  • shortened hose between filter and CO2 reactor
  • replaced original reactor hose clips with the same jubilee 18-25cm clips

As an additional benefit of the modifications above I have restored filter’s flow rate. Maybe not exactly to the same rate as when I’ve just plugged it in but it’s very close. Oh and I think the noise dropped too 👏

So, we all agree, that the problem with the burping is produced by accumulated gas, which comes out in one go. With the new improved head the gas bubbles are eliminated from above the trays and from the prefilter chamber but not from inside of it.
There, I think is the place where the gas is accumulate, from little bubbles coming together, until they are forming a gas stopper, which will be purged in one go by the pump.
In order to prevent this to happen, we will need to give the gas a way to escape as soon as possible. That can be done with a small hole drilled at the top of the prefilter chamber in the direction and location of the blue arrow.
Yes, this will create a bypass in the prefilter, but it can be only a 2 mm diameter hole and it will still work. (As long it will not be covered by a leaf or something similar. )
This way any bubble travelling through filter, it will continue to move without stopping anywhere and collect in order to create the burp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-220921_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-220921_Chrome.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 530
I’d really like to see the head assembled on a filter like this. In particular the part where they insert and then “pot” the laminations that drive the impeller. It may give an insight into why so may filters vibrate. I suspect the impeller is not perfectly central to the laminations and therefore tries to oscillate.

So here’s my update after over one year using my Oase biomaster thermal 600:

initially my problem was with the noise. It was reduced cutting the pipes as short as possible, ”wrapping” the pipes in noise isolation and replacing the pre filter sponge With the orange one (30 ppi)

in general , the filter is good, I clean the pre filter once a week and the main filter every 3 months. However, the flow rate is far from good... I had Fluval and JBL filters before and never had problem with the flow rate but with my oase no matter what I do, I don’t seem to get a good flow rate with it. (I have a 300l tank)

after 1 year the max score I can give to it is 6,5/10

Everyone talks about issue. But no one talk about main cause. Air is result not cause. Mjaquascaping in youtube he said "high pressure in filter, then it cause to vacume effect and filter takes some air". So I decided to change my inlet pipe with two hose. It fixed %95 percent!! still gets some air but its not annoying like before.It is more acceptable. Also I do not prefilter sponge. i added more holes to prefilte tube. Add some petrol jelly to prefilter seal

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 15.22.54.png

Last edited:
Everyone talks about issue. But no one talk about main cause. Air is result not cause. Mjaquascaping in youtube he said "high pressure in filter, then it cause to vacume effect and filter takes some air". So I decided to change my inlet pipe with two hose. It fixed %95 percent!! still gets some air but its not annoying like before.It is more acceptable. Also I do not prefilter sponge. i added more holes to prefilte tube. Add some petrol jelly to prefilter seal

Can you explain why two inlet pipes somehow address the problem?

Canister filters can accumulate air if there is back pressure in the system or the pump is overloaded. In the BioMaster this can be addressed by (1) replacing the pre-filter pipe with a pipe with a wider diameter (~21mm) and more holes, (2) not restricting the output flow, i.e. keeping the pressure-side slider fully open, and (3) not overloading the filter with media. These will increase the flow, reduce the load on the pump, and will minimize air accumulation. I have two BioMaster filters and air only accumulates if I constrain the flow. Otherwise, I have zero air accumulation issues. Removing the pre-filter sponges is not a good option IMO - better to use a different filter then.

Aquascape20, one question please: so you don't use any sponges in the prefilter? But you still have the central pipe?
So as I said, the gas is collected in the prefilter. If you don't use the sponges then will be much easier for it to pass through and not to collect. The 2 mm bypass hole will fix the issue irrespective if you have or not the sponges in the prefilter or if you have one or two inlet pipes.

Back