• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster

latheaxe

Im looking at getting the Oase Biomaster Thermo. Like the design as its easy to clean the sponges and the built in heater so I dont have to have a heater in the tank. What do you think about them? Are there any pitfalls with them. They are quite expensive so checking if there are any problems with them before buying.

I have a 350 on a 60cm tank. It works, but it's nothing very impressive. The flow rate is way below what Oase tells us, and it can very quickly get reduced if the filter is not frequently maintained.
Luckily, its maintenance is easy and you can get away with very few water spills.
If I were to set up a new 60cm tank, I would either go for a 600 or 850, or go a different route.

Was looking at the 250 for my size of tank but maybe have to go for the 350 now if flows are not great.

It's a great filter. The only downside is that in my case the filter resonates with the closed cabinet. It's more silent outside the cabinet. It's a personal thing whether you find it annoying or not.

190 ltrs... :)
I’m using 850 on 160L tank and would say the flow is just perfect for this size of tank. By the way I’m using additional 650LH power head to cover the area where flow is not so great..

Go for 850 alone or 350 with powerheads

Yes, all brands are the same. Expect 50-60% of manufacturer's figures in real world use. Maximum figures are measured using zero head, zero pipe length and zero media.

Thanks for that lads..... Will get the 850...
If you plan to have a planted tank with CO2 injection then you will likely need an additional circulation pump/wave maker, whether you choose the BioMaster 600 or 850. Any of these filters would provide enough filtration capacity, but might struggle with water circulation and CO2 distributions. The wave maker would provide the necessary circulation inside the tank. If you are not planning a planted tank, then go for the 850.

So the flow rates that Oase state are way way out?
Not Oase's, but all vendors. You might get near the advertised flow rate in ideal conditions, i.e. without any media, very short pipes, and a near zero water column.

You can increase the flow of the BioMaster with a <easy hack> in the pre-filter pipe (also check this video at the ~10:00 mark).

If you plan to have a planted tank with CO2 injection then you will likely need an additional circulation pump/wave maker, whether you choose the BioMaster 600 or 850. Any of these filters would provide enough filtration capacity, but might struggle with water circulation and CO2 distributions. The wave maker would provide the necessary circulation inside the tank. If you are not planning a planted tank, then go for the 850.

Not Oase's, but all vendors. You might get near the advertised flow rate in ideal conditions, i.e. without any media, very short pipes, and a near zero water column.

You can increase the flow of the BioMaster with a <easy hack> in the pre-filter pipe (also check this video at the ~10:00 mark).
Thanks for the information and links... Is it a must to have a wavemaker? Just trying to keep as much out the tank as possible for aesthetics.

Thanks for the information and links... Is it a must to have a wavemaker? Just trying to keep as much out the tank as possible for aesthetics.
If you are not using CO2, then no. With CO2, likely yes just because it simplifies water and CO2 circulation. It may be difficult to conciliate surface agitation, circulation at substrate level, and elimination of dead zones due to the hardscape with the filter outlet only. It all depends on the setup of your tank. Your plants (and especially the algae) will tell you if you need the wavemaker or not :)

Back