• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioStyle 115

Hi all,
I am not a fan of those cartridges filters though!, might juts replace it with a sponge of some sort like I did with my Oase internals!
I always <"throw away the cartridge inserts"> and just use sponge etc.
I figured it is just a faulty motor and/or impeller, so I asked the reseller if I could just buy them (can’t be expensive on a £50 filter . . . not currently available for purchase!
Not ideal.
What is strange is cleaning the impeller and motor gets it going again. When I remove the impeller it’s clearly ‘stuck’ a bit with something stopping it turning, but when I remove it and clean it there is no visible debris (there isn’t really much biofilm after a week even).
Can you put a pre-filter on the intake? It might not make any difference, but it is worth trying.

cheers Darrel

I always <"throw away the cartridge inserts"> and just use sponge etc.
I have done that in the smaller internals, will do the same on this one at some stage, once they not usable any more after a clean.

Yeah I want to replace the fist stage cartridge with foam, but there’s no obvious way to secure any foam in place to prevent bypass.

I’m thinking I’ll need to modify the cartridges by cutting away most of the plastic and leaving the outer shell so I can add foam to the inside.

Got one for our UNS 45U Betta tank and love that you can control the flow. Could have gone with the smaller one but it has no heater, plus they all use the same motor and rotor. Now like all filters they do have a loud hum, but as they break in they go silent, now I do have the water flow at a lower flow and the hum is more noticeable, but nothing like the aqua clear that is in the garage and is a few years old which is loud.

The orange foam is a 30 ppi and that is good for beneficial bacteria, just wish the other cartridge was customizable and I could get rid of the phosphate absorber and carbon and use more sponges. The blue one is the same as the prefilter in the Oase Biomaster and it does the job. I’ll probably get the cartridge and modify it to put in another orange foam.

The heater is supposed to be preset for 79°; but it is only heating the tank to 75°, and that is fine.

It is self priming, it just does a noisy job of doing it and can take up to 3 mins while it clears the air from the tube.

So far vey happy with it

Just adding on to this thread to say that whilst I am happy with my biostyle 75, it seems too noisy for me and I am thinking of changing to a different HOB filter. Any suggestions for a quieter option?

Just adding on to this thread to say that whilst I am happy with my biostyle 75, it seems too noisy for me and I am thinking of changing to a different HOB filter. Any suggestions for a quieter option?
All HOBS will have some hum/rattle to them, best option would be a small internal.

Back