• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Crystalskim

jamiep

I thought this feedback might be helpful to others searching. I use a skimmer on a timer for skimming but also boosting circulation. I was entirely happy with the APS/SunSun £10-12 model but bought myself the Crystalskim 350 for Christmas. I had boaked at the cost, but I can afford nice things for my hobby, and I am happy now it is purchased.

PROS:
More powerful, much better surface clearance. Smaller. Nicer build quality. The downward flow helps with potential dead spots underneath the filter outflow across the front side (if, like me, positioned opposite the outflow). Quieter. Doesn't huff and puff occasionally and struggle to start (like the APS one, a suction vacuum can happen). Different skim guard configurations (inc a shrimp friendly one).

CONS:
The downward flow might not suit your hardscape. It is £40. I guess it will require more regular de-leafing. No viewing window to watch for a rogue shrimp - I am going to keep a close eye on this for the first few days

Thanks for the information.. I ordered one before Christmas not realising until after I had paid, they were closed until 3rd Jan, so it should arrive in next couple of days if the Post Office manage to catch up with the backlog.
Why do you say the downward flow may not suit hard scape?

Just that down vertically, rather than horizontally with the APS one, might not suit the particular CIRCULATION you are wanting according to how your hardscape is positioned. Nowt to do with the SKIMMING aspect

Last edited:
CONS:
The downward flow might not suit your hardscape. It is £40. I guess it will require more regular de-leafing. No viewing window to watch for a rogue shrimp - I am going to keep a close eye on this for the first few days
I looked at it a while ago... definitely not small fish/shrimplet safe with those wide slots - you will have put a lemon squeeze bag, or something similar, over it, but properly a good skimmer if you do not have such concerns.

Cheers,
Michael

I have owned one for a couple of months now and like it too. I do wish there was different impeller housing covers available for it as the downward flow can be too much in some setups and it would be nice to swap it out for horizontal flow. I don't recommend the CrystalSkim 350 for any small or medium sized tanks. It was too much for my UNS 60U for instance, even on its lowest flow setting, so I had to remove it. It's home will now be in my new 90 build this spring...

Back