• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase filtosmart

Fisher2007

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these filters and what their thoughts, opinions, good points and bad points were?

I'm contemplating setting up another tank in my kitchen and having the equipment on the cupboard below. Tank will be a 45cm cube, which before displacement works out to be about 90 litres. Unfortunately the cupboard available is pretty small so although I'd prefer the Oase Biomaster 250 it simply won't fit so looking for alternatives. The filter needs to house the heater also as I don't want it in the tank and there's not really much room for an inline either

Options I've found are the filtosmart 200 ( I think the 100 will be too small) or the eheim experience 250T. Both will fit in the cupboard. The eheim would be my preferred choice but there's quite a difference in price, with the Oase being about £120 and the eheim being at least £100 more

I'm particularly interested in how the filtosmart primes and how easy it is to prime after cleaning, etc. I know there is no priming button so how's this achieved without it

Thanks in advance

I’ve got the filtosmart 100. It’s good, but I do miss the prefilter the biomasters have. Runs nice and quite even though I’ve just got it sitting on the floor. Does a little fizz every now and then. It’s for my 30cm cube and it’s probably too much flow, so might be alright on your 45cm. It depends on the scape I guess.

I’ve got the filtosmart 100. It’s good, but I do miss the prefilter the biomasters have. Runs nice and quite even though I’ve just got it sitting on the floor. Does a little fizz every now and then. It’s for my 30cm cube and it’s probably too much flow, so might be alright on your 45cm. It depends on the scape I guess.

Thanks - I was considering the 200 for the 45cm cube. Do you think this will be too much?

How do you find priming it? I'm thinking say when I come to rinse the media, etc, and put it back together, how easy is it to get started (in fact how do you get it started again?) with no priming button?

Cheers again

You can always adjust the flow with a valve, which is what I did when the fish first went in.
If you're going to have a lot of plant mass and hardscape, you might need the 200.

Ahh, yes, starting the thing. I can't remember how it fills (probably just syphons itself), but it's easier to start when it's already filled!
It hasn't taken long enough for me to search YouTube for a fix yet and I'm not particularly patient.

You can always adjust the flow with a valve, which is what I did when the fish first went in.
If you're going to have a lot of plant mass and hardscape, you might need the 200.

Ahh, yes, starting the thing. I can't remember how it fills (probably just syphons itself), but it's easier to start when it's already filled!
It hasn't taken long enough for me to search YouTube for a fix yet and I'm not particularly patient.

Thanks!

Back