• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Pond Pads vs K1?

durb992000

What would be people choose for biological filtration on my sump?
I’m considering oase pond pads or k1 as a moving bed filter.
Information seems to suggest oase provides more filtration capacity per capita.
Thoughts?

Media with large area will get occupied predominantly be heterotrophic bacteria - decomposers.
Kaldness media are designed for nitrifying bacteria.

I’m considering oase pond pads or k1 as a moving bed filter.
Information seems to suggest oase provides more filtration capacity per capita.
Thoughts?

I'm setting up a sump myself shortly, and will be going with plastic media similar to K1 (I'll be using the Oase Hel-X in mesh bags since I have loads of it already) - however I'll be running it as a wet/dry trickle filter, which apparently significantly increases its biological filtration capability, but more importantly for me increases dissolved oxygen in the water column significantly.

Kaldness media are designed for nitrifying bacteria.
I think that's true merely for a moving bed filter, where the media is frequently rotated and collided with other elements, so bioflocs of the heterotrophic bacterias are constantly removed. In static filter, plastic rings behave just like any other media and are colonized by both heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria (depending on C/N ratio). I personally use HelX media in my static filters and I see quite a lot of bacterial floc/detritus there:
APC_0287 2.jpg
I'm inclined to think that it is impossible to see such a dirty media in a moving bed filter.

Hi all,
I like floating cell media, <"like the Kaldnes K1">.
however I'll be running it as a wet/dry trickle filter, which apparently significantly increases its biological filtration capability, but more importantly for me increases dissolved oxygen in the water column significantly.
I'm a <"wet / dry trickle filter fan"> as well.
oase pond pads
I've not heard of these, but I've <"had a quick look"> and I don't see any reason why they won't work. Surface area and pore space are always a <"red herring">, so I'm going to ignore that. Biological filtration <"is all about oxygen">, which is why <"all these media work">, and realistically <"the only difference is in price">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
I’m not sure I’ve seen such dirty media in any type of filter!
I was thinking about this earlier. I know that @Vsevolod Stakhov is pretty knowledgeable about matters microbiological, but personally I would want a lot less biofilm, so either more frequent cleaning, more oxygen or a more effective intake pre-filter.

cheers Darrel

I would want a lot less biofilm, so either more frequent cleaning, more oxygen or a more effective intake pre-filter.
A good thing about K1/HelX is that even in this state there is a water flow throughout the filter. Matrix/Substrate pro that I used long time ago, had just turned into a solid brick of mug with no flow and no use. Another good thing for K1/HelX comparing to foam/pads is that cleaning of media is just a gentle shaking of the filter section in water, very simple.
However, for external filters I also prefer prefilter with some coarse foam or another section of plastic rings (depending on prefilter structure). Subsequently, I clean prefilters once per 2-3 months and the internal media... well, never.

I think that's true merely for a moving bed filter, where the media is frequently rotated and collided with other elements, so bioflocs of the heterotrophic bacterias are constantly removed. In static filter, plastic rings behave just like any other media and are colonized by both heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria (depending on C/N ratio).
I think what you say is very true, but there's still something I'd like to add.
Porous media get filled with detritus, which autotrophic nitrifying bacteria hate. While Kaldness has been designed not to adsorb particulate organics. This provides nitrifiers with better chance to withstand heterotrophs' competition. At least this is what I understood when having read the literature. Practically, I can't tell the difference, and ended up without any filters. I leave it up to microbes themselves to choose where to thrive. I'm trying not to disturb the substrate unless necessary - when re-planting.

Back