• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Odd behaviour and CO2. Fairly urgent!

Viv

I've got a filter shrimp who is behaving very oddly: out in the open, not feeding (I've never seen him not feeding!!), on his side quite a bit. The only thing that has changed is my putting in an inline CO2 diffuser. Is it possible for this to be affecting him or is this coincidence and I should be looking for something else?

Viv

Yep, highly likely it's the co2!!! Switch off and get an air stone running quickly if I were you. Hope it turns out ok.

Thanks for the quick response basil. I'll turn it down asap!!

Viv

Right, I've virtually turned the CO2 off for now (less than 1 bps) and I've raised the spray bars above the water surface. I've taken a photo of my drop checker so you can give me an idea of what colour to aim for, as according to the chart I've got this looked like it should have been fine for my pH and GH (7.9-8 and 19 respectively).
dropchecker.jpg

None of the fish or rcs were showing any adverse signs. I take it filter shrimp are more sensitive? I've had shrimpy for over a year - does age make them more susceptible? Thanks for your help!!

Viv

With livestock in the tank you have to adjust gradually. Inverts, fish and plants will tell you which way you need to go.

Shrimp will suffer before your fish. I run my drop checker a lot brighter than that but have no shrimp. Fish are fine.

I can't count my bubble count on a rio 125 through a 16/22mm Up inline.

Thanks for that. I turned the CO2 back on at 1 bps but the drop checker stayed nearer to blue than green so I've upped it to 2 bps. I'm thinking about moving shrimpy to another tank without any CO2 so that I can go back to where it was, as all the other fish and shrimp seemed happy enough. I think less than that and I might as well have stuck with liquid carbon! :(

Viv

Getting it dialed in is the frustrating part and dealing with the unstable co2 issues. Once you got it nailed it's well worth and beats liquid carbon hands down on a larger tank.

If you can re home shrimpy in another tank it would allow you to tweak without worrying about him/her. It will take days, if not weeks to find the right injection rate for your setup and plant mass.

Yep spyder, I think thats gonna be the safest way for me to go. I just need to find him! He's doing his usual thing and staying hidden :rolleyes:

Viv

Back