• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Odd growth

Parablennius

Afternoon all
I've att a pic of my Java fern growth. It started out as bog standard fern which has been in tank around 3 yrs. Lately the leaves have shot up from the rhizome as a thin narrow leaf about 8" then goes tri-foil! I'm guessing light or ferts. Outlined in the pics. Anybody got any ideas?? TIA
Steve

Attachments

• DSCN2490.JPG
    DSCN2490.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 151
Hi, I get this but only on high light tanks.
I bought some years ago (1980??) at a big show in Manchester which all looked like they were grown emerse and had very long stems with a tri-lobed leaf. I suspect they were imported especially for the show. The leaf colour was yellowish green not like we get under water.
Cheers
John

Thanks for that. Thing is I don't remember altering lighting. Perhaps I reduced surface cover plants. Trouble is, the light is a DIY LED hack-up from Chinese parts so I have no idea re. PAR etc but it is programmable via TC 420. Also, doesn't seem to affect all leaves. Maybe turn it down a bit and watch.
Cheers
On the other hand I may leave as is. It doesn't bother me, I was just curious.
Thanks for your help.

No problem, I'm curious whether it's normal or abnormal. I have never been one for trimming for aesthetic reasons, I let everything grow to its full potential then hack back so I can see something else ☺
I do get it growing emerse but leaves just wither away as I don't have any spray system for the emerse growth. It may be just as leaves get older?
When I first saw "trident" java fern mentioned I thought ahaa! that's what it is, until I saw the modern stuff in the flesh ( if that's not a contradiction).
I bet there's someone doing a PhD on the genetics of java ferns who could explain , or is that one glass too many? ☺

Hi Steve
Look like you have got the broad leaf variety: Microsorum Pteropus var. latifolius.
It is a relatively big plant, but also very beautifull and quite undemanding. Seem to be more common from Asian retailers, these days, than European ones.
It is quite common for this one, to grow tri-lobed leaves submerged, when the plant is in good growth and old enough. Emerse grown it is allmost the rule.

Back