• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oedogonium and diatoms?

Thanks to all for the input r.e. rocks. I've just ordered more plants online and I'm hoping to get some Otos this weekend. Despite doing 3 water changes a week at the moment (2 x 33%, 1 x 66%), the bloody diatoms have spread to my frogbit! I'm not sure if this is simply because the tank is so badly "infected" with them or because my shrimp like to chew on the leaves. I've seen them doing this a few times. It's only ever the older leaves, but still. Grr! Hopefully the new plants will help. Not totally sure what I'm getting as I've bought three "not so perfect" plants from Aqua Essentials. Figured there isn't much point splashing out on top quality plants with my tank the way it is.

On the bright side, my Bacopa has finally started to show signs of growing back after the massive chop I gave it. New growth will probably turn orange within the week but I'm glad the plant isn't dead (I was a bit worried as it used to bounce back immediately after a trim).

New growth will probably turn orange within the week but I'm glad the plant isn't dead (I was a bit worried as it used to bounce back immediately after a trim).
If you see diatoms starting to cover the leaves they can be wiped off by gently rubbing them between your thumb and forefinger, best to do this prior to a water change.
I've bought three "not so perfect" plants from Aqua Essentials. Figured there isn't much point splashing out on top quality plants with my tank the way it is.
Hopefully the new plants will take. If they don't and you want some healthy, fast growing plants that have already adapted to life under water just pm me your address and make a £3 donation to the forum and I'll send you some out the following week.

Last edited:
If you see diatoms starting to cover the leaves they can be wiped off by gently rubbing them between your thumb and forefinger, best to do this prior to a water change.

Hopefully the new plants will take. If they don't and you want some healthy, fast growing plants that have already adapted to life under water just pm me your address and make a £3 donation to the forum and I'll send you some out the following week.
Thank you so much John :) I will keep this thread updated with my progress!

Apologies for vertical pic, but here are my lovely new Otos :)
20211010_151219.jpg

Here you can really see how bad my Monte Carlo has got. New growth is obviously the light stuff. I've already seen one of the Otos having a chew on it!

I also got a new Echinodorus and a moss in my mystery plant box. So unfortunately, nothing fast growing. I've whacked them in in though.

You need to take the light pill, hardest one, it's a kind of blackpill actually, everybody want tons of light in the tank, me first, thanks to this board the therapy is going slowly, i'm now a medium light user which is a step to the freedom which is low light

Back