• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Okay to Change?

Krishs Bettas

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question my old light tubes are starting to get dim now (9 Months old) would changing them cause a aglae spike becuase of the brighter light? If so how would be the best way to prepair for it?

Thanks for your help,
Krish

howanic

I am surprised that they are dim after only 9 months. Mine are over 2 years old and are as bright as ever. What brand are they?

howanic

Oh that answers that then. Mine are t5s. Can't believe t8s only last 6 months. That must get expensive. :thumbdown:

Krishs Bettas

I have T5s however i brought the light unit second hand from a member if the forum which came the tubes so who knows how old they can be... So i just may as well replace them soon.

foxfish

I think it is more about the ballast that operate T8s, the magnetic ones cause the lights to deteriorate much quicker than electronics ballast?
I think all T5s have electronic starter units & the light drop off is not much over at least 20000 hours (3 years)
I also think that modern T8s with electronic starter can last almost the same amount of time?
However I did read somewhere the colour rendition changes more with T8s?
My locale electrical store sells 38w T5 bulbs from less than £2.50 so I still change mine (two bulbs) every year.