• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Okay to use on cover glass? Science boffins please.

Okay this rain-x stuff does wonders on the car windscreen. Any one know why I can't spray the underside of my glass lid and then wipe off to obtain less condensation buildup?

It's for use potentially on a CRS tank lid, so is there anything here that would be a problem to inverts?

Taken from Wiki:

"Rain-X's primary active ingredient are polysiloxanes, the primary one being hydroxy-terminated polydimethylsiloxane.[16] The polysiloxanes have functional groups that bind to the hydroxyl group of the glass surface.[17]"

Rain-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

u5u6ubeh.jpg

Cheers,
N

There seem to be disinfectants in it too so I wouldn't risk it. Why don't you get some of the stuff jackrythm was testing? It is safe to use in aquariums and is supposed to prevent algae growing on the glass too. Tad expensive but maybe jackrythm would send you a drop to do your cover glass.

Oops, it was jack12 and I'm not a science boffin so sorry on both counts.

Ive got absolutely no idea if its safe or not but my thinking is that its such a tiny amount thats used and once its applied and dry I cant see an issue, my guess would be that theres more air born pollutants that fall into our tanks that could cause just as many issues ?

As I said though ive got no idea what so ever... unfortunately

Back