• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Old cryptocorynes - will they still grow big?

Simon Cole

I've been keeping crypts in fairly poor conditions for a good few months (or years) - low light, not planted, no nutrients. I've also got one in my emersed set-up that never got light or nutrients. I'm now scaping a tank and have decided to use these old, poorly plants on the hope that they will grow big and bushy. Is this likely to happen or do they suffer from age and lose their vitality?

In my experience of keeping Crypts they are very robust and would definitely grow within your new set up. I’d simply trim the roots back and remove any scraggy old leaves and replant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon
That is what I have also done plus feed with Seachem Flourish tabs as per instructions.
s-l640.jpg

Keith:wave::wave:

Excellent. Thanks Matty, and thanks Keith :wave: I'm putting them into a new aquarium with a base layer of ADA Malaya, followed by some Tropica soil, Tropica substrate, and a good layer of crushed black basalt (up to about 4"). Also: EI dosing, high light, CO2. I've got some DIY root tabs, but thank you for mentioning the Seachem Flourish ones. Hopefully they should spring back to life. It's really exciting in my house at the moment. Both my mother and I have been up all night aquascaping. We're exhausted, but if it comes off well, it should be very rewarding.

Crypts will definitely bounce back, I got a bunch of big crypts that ALL melted but are slowly recovering. The ones in my scape are bouncing up now :)

Excellent. Thanks Matty, and thanks Keith :wave: I'm putting them into a new aquarium with a base layer of ADA Malaya, followed by some Tropica soil, Tropica substrate, and a good layer of crushed black basalt (up to about 4"). Also: EI dosing, high light, CO2. I've got some DIY root tabs, but thank you for mentioning the Seachem Flourish ones. Hopefully they should spring back to life. It's really exciting in my house at the moment. Both my mother and I have been up all night aquascaping. We're exhausted, but if it comes off well, it should be very rewarding.

Exciting times! You can save £’s by making your own root tabs like I do. Be mindful that you’ll experience a lot of melt with the Crypts - especially in high light but they’ll adjust accordingly and will grow crazily there after. I can’t keep mine under control and spread like wild fire! Good luck with your new scape - sounds fab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What @Edvet says.. :)

I had a little spare aqaurium running for a long time as plant bin.. Very low light and never a drop of ferts. Did put in several crypt sp. Also small Usteriana runners, one of the largest in potential. Kept them in there for months some even over a year staying small, some even floated freely around for months.. Till i found somebody willing to take them from me. And than seen them back at full potential again 6 months later in somebody els's tank... :thumbup:

Btw..
Both my mother and I have been up all night aquascaping.
Wonderfull!.. Enjoy it.. Sounds heart-warming to me experiencing something like that with yur Mom.. I envy it a bit.. It was my Mom pushing my interest to get into aqaurium hobby long ago.. I probably would do the same with her if she still were around. Unfortenately she passed away 38 years ago..

Last edited:
I also have a crypt which had died back floating and growth has been amazing!

Just to add also that George Farmer has had his crypts all melt recently and reported in his latest q&a that they are growing back despite effectively totally dieing back. He trimmed them right back and now they are re growing.

Back