• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oldwhitewood's new 60cm NA

Yeah, this has got me thinking.

I absolutely love killifish, and really miss keeping them, but they jump like crazy so no chance in an open top.

Even if a lid was used, I think if you still have plants, you're going to have to take the lid off for maintenance some time, and jumpy fish are gonna jump! I also find it almost impossible to prune properly without a suspended light, removing a lid fixture makes the whole tank opaque.

It seems to me a choice between fish and plants (generally speaking), and I'm just not willing to give up proper planting.

Oh well!

For me the overall look of an ADA style setup can't be beat. Maintenance is a big minus IMO, though my new tank, (high tech ADA style, minimal light, slow growers), should strike a good balance for me. I hope.

Still limited with fish, but why not suspend a lid just over the tank, them hoist it up for maintenance? That would be ideal, might not look quite as good as open top, but you could still have lilly pipes/opti/ext filter etc etc...

Just my thoughts ;)

At the risk of hijacking OWW's thread - PM - what kind of 'minimal light' have you got - how minimal? And what kind of slow growing plants?

I'm still in DSM phase of a tank, and can still change a lot - so keen to know how to minimise the work load and still get something looking good. I want plants, but I do want fish, even if not killifish...

sorry OWW< still want to see your tank when done, tho' - and find out how you deal w algae without plants as nutrient uptake...

Liking the idea of a plantless tank for a while now. Especially after seeing the Jeff Senske Altum tank.

Bare wood, bleached sand, good filtration and a collection of great fish that you've always wanted to keep. :D

magpie said:
At the risk of hijacking OWW's thread - PM - what kind of 'minimal light' have you got - how minimal? And what kind of slow growing plants?

I'm still in DSM phase of a tank, and can still change a lot - so keen to know how to minimise the work load and still get something looking good. I want plants, but I do want fish, even if not killifish...

sorry OWW< still want to see your tank when done, tho' - and find out how you deal w algae without plants as nutrient uptake...
Yeah I've not figured that out yet myself if I do grow moss I'm going to need the lights on and maybe co2 , if I grow nothing it's a weird one maybe just have the lights on for a few hours. If anyone has any thoughts on that it would be good to hear em!

I've been avidly reading Tom Barr's 'Non CO2 Methods' thread on The Barr Report...

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/433-Non-CO2-methods

well worth a read on how to manage a tank *without* the hassle of CO2

Saintly also had a nano that did very well indeed without CO2 - the key, I think, is very good flow around the tank... (and good balance - as the EI thread recently said - it's all balance)

mx

Well, if you go non-planted you can keep algae to a minimum quite easily.

Minimise the lighting to when you're viewing the tank i.e. 3 or 4 hours in the evening.

Don't skimp on filtration or water changes. Vacuum the substrate occasionally.

Add a commercial anti-algae product with each water change, unless you're keeping inverts, as most contain copper.

In my experience you'll soon get bored of a non-planted tank. Fish are nice but they rarely produce the kind of rewards that plant growing and aquascaping offers, unless you focus on breeding etc. perhaps.

Reef is another option, Neil... ;)

George Farmer said:
Well, if you go non-planted you can keep algae to a minimum quite easily.

Minimise the lighting to when you're viewing the tank i.e. 3 or 4 hours in the evening.

Don't skimp on filtration or water changes. Vacuum the substrate occasionally.

Add a commercial anti-algae product with each water change, unless you're keeping inverts, as most contain copper.

In my experience you'll soon get bored of a non-planted tank. Fish are nice but they rarely produce the kind of rewards that plant growing and aquascaping offers, unless you focus on breeding etc. perhaps.

Reef is another option, Neil... ;)
Don't tempt me with reef mate :)

Back