• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ollie's 120x45x45: Update 04/08/12

OllieNZ

Hi All
Welcome to my journal. Where to start?
Tank Spec:
120x45x45cm
Lights:
3x 54w T5 avaliable with the option to use 1,2 or all 3
Substrate: John Innes no3 soil capped with Unipac Samoa sand coarse
Hardscape: Cotswold Stone

Time for pics
0383.jpg

0373.jpg

0364.jpg

0422.jpg

0432.jpg

0402.jpg

0412.jpg

Enjoy

Re: Ollie's 120x45x45: Dry Start (photo heavy)

Thanks Sam,
It wasnt just the amount of rock 50kg+ BTW, its also the amount of substrate 10kgs of playsand as a filler,5litres of soil and 12.5kgs of the samoa and the left hand side is still not as high as I wanted.
I still havent nailed the plant list down yet but will be mostly crypts. Im thinking vallis for back right corner which is where the filter in/out will be, one of the smaller crypt species for accenting around the rocks.

Does anyone know of a crypt that grows to around 8-12inches tall?

Re: Ollie's 120x45x45: Dry Start (photo heavy)

Good start mate, original stone being used.
What lighting unit is that you are using?

Re: Ollie's 120x45x45: Emersed Growth (or lack of)

Well Its been nearly a week and the only thing showing any signs of growth is a few tips on the moss. Is this what I should expect to be seeing?

Probably about right, do you have all the lights on?
I have found the more light the better with a dry start, personally I completely seal the top & just fill with enough water to cover the substrate but, if you have a steep slope then the rear plants might not have enough moisture?
I have found the more humid the better you might need to put a heater in there in a bucket of water.
Those are just my thought as I know some folk don't have any problems with dry starts...

Thanks,
I sealed the tank with clingfilm and filled water to substrate level from the start Ive been spraying with plain water daily but have only been using 2 bulbs. I'll start using the third. I've also just whipped up an NPK mix to spray instead of plain water.

Hmm you shouldn't need to spray anything if the humidity is up enough, probably opening up the cling film lets all the humidity out?
In my set ups the glass is dripping wet from condensation & the cling film is covered in droplets of water however, I do use a heat pad under the tank.

Maloney said:
Hi, Cotswold stone is limestone, wont this affect the PH levels ? just a thought :)

regular water changes should keep that and the tds in check as its a fairly hard stone

with so little water though you'll hardly get much of a ph change as at most only a tiny part of the rock would be submerged

foxfish said:
Difficult to do a water change when there is no water above the substrate..
:shh: ;)
I've already checked on the stone issue issue, I have very hard water. http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17407
foxfish said:
I have found the more humid the better you might need to put a heater in there in a bucket of water.
I think this may be the issue. I will have to dig out a spare heater :thumbup:

Well I've finally got the tank planted up but it hasn't been without issues.
The emersed phase didnt go well at all. Nothing really grew and I couldn't keep the humidity high enough which killed the anubis. In my efforts to keep the humidity up I accidently left the water level too high and developed a bad case bga which bloomed in a big way when I flooded tank. Anyway a quick pic
053.jpg

Still needs a bit more tidying and somthing to replace the anubis.

Re: Ollie's 120x45x45: Fishy Pics

A couple of pics of my breeding brevis
Male of one pair
IMG_3872-edit.jpg

The other pair
IMG_3858-edit.jpg

Nice Fish Ollie, these are not plant destructive right?

Radik said:
Nice Fish Ollie, these are not plant destructive right?
Thanks Radik. Not at all. They are a very good cichlid for a planted tank, the males top out at around 2" and unlike most other shellies they dont really dig. They will try bury their shell on occasion by excavating underneath it but pushing the shell into the substrate for them stops this. They arent really bothered by the flow or co2 but dont tolerate much of temp drop during water changes.

And a few more, also a big thanks to Themuleous for the use of the DSLR
IMG_3873-edit.jpg

IMG_3863-crop.jpg

IMG_3850-edit.jpg

Ollie, being Tanganyikans, do you have to keep the pH up above 8 ? Can we see a FTS please ? I would LOVE to have a setup with just these. Or other Tangs come to that... Altolamprologus Comprecisseps or Calvus for example, or Leleupis or Julidochromis Marlieri. I don't know how plant friendly they are though (although I realise a planted aquarium is not biotopic for them).

Back