• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ollie's 120x45x45: Update 04/08/12

Re: Ollie's 120x45x45: New Pics

Alastair said:
looks fantastic ollie,
how often are you doing water changes and how much if so, are you adding ferts etc?

Hi Alastair,
I haven't done a w/c for nearly a month, and only added ferts once. I haven't settled on a routine just watching and reacting as required.
Im using a diy NPK mix using KNO3, K2PO4, MgNO3 and using easylife profito for micros. I have super hard water but no Mg in it, so the ferts have been chosen to suit and it seems to make a difference compared to not adding the extra Mg.

OllieNZ said:
A few close ups, sorry for the quality, I'm stuck with my phone camera till I buy a new one :rolleyes:
2012-06-11202452.jpg

This is my most favourate non co2 tank. Nice,..crisp & clean. There's no need to apologise Ollie,...I see no fault in the pictures' quality. The plants are looking so vibrant & healthy. :D ,...especially the crypts,...they kind of look like Cryptocoryne petchii.

A great job & a truly inspirational tank for non co2 lovers. :thumbup:

faizal said:
This is my most favourate non co2 tank. Nice,..crisp & clean. There's no need to apologise Ollie,...I see no fault in the pictures' quality. The plants are looking so vibrant & healthy. :D ,...especially the crypts,...they kind of look like Cryptocoryne petchii.

A great job & a truly inspirational tank for non co2 lovers. :thumbup:

Thank you :oops: .
The problem I have with the camera is, to get a clear low noise shot I need to use ISO 100 and I dont have a steady enough have to keep it blur free.

awtong said:
What are the crypt's Ollie? Are they Bullosa at the top and Petchii lower down by the path? Crypt's look great BTW.

Andy

I bought the big ones are from the Aquafleur stand at Vivarium and were labeled "diversen"(which I've just found out is dutch for various :rolleyes: ) I am not sure but looking at their catalouge the most likley is C. Bullosa but the leaves dont seem textured enough....
The small one I have no Idea it may be Petchii. It was green when I put it in but turned brown over a couple of weeks so no idea really.

As a side note, I picked up my congo tetras at the weekend they are settling in well and the stauro seems to be going well so far.

My Bullosa have lost a lot of their leaf texture as they have matured and yours look quite similar to the ones I have and the ones I bought at the weekend.

I have just bought some Petchii and the leaves are green and pointed. I have a feeling these will change as the immersed leaves replace them. They could be something else though tricky to tell! The point about Diversen is interesting I bought 4 pots at the weekend thinking it was the variety. I thought 2 pots looked slightly different to the other 2 pots. I thought it was emmersed vs immersed leaves. Guess I will have to look at the catalogue to see what they are.

Once settled I would love to see pic's of the Congo tetra's.

Andy

awtong said:
Once settled I would love to see pic's of the Congo tetra's.

Andy
Will do. They are only 2ins at the moment but seem to be colouring up nicely (I have gone with an all male group though). Yours look ace how big are they?

I have found that the colours are a bit more vibrant when some ladies are around. might be worth considering a few at a later date if you have room. My females have now gone a nice green colour now they are mature and are quite nice in a subtle way. My biggest males are probably 8cm including the tails but were quite small when I got them. They seem to be quick growing fish in my experience.

Andy

Hey Ollie, :D any updates on how this is coming along? I forgot to ask this before but how much light do you have running over the tank & how long is the duration of your photoperiod?

Sorry for the late reply Faizal,
Im running 1x54w t5 for 9hrs.
Im having a few issues with algae at the moment as the tank has been getting alot of sunlight in the afternoons and I havent had time to maintain it as required. The corymbosa is growing out of the water, the compacta is now 10-12inches tall and my moss got mugged by bga and let go of its rock. I've got a bit more time over the next couple of weeks so hopefully I can get on top of it and get some pics up.

007-1.jpg

Congos!

beauties!

Congos ! And stunning ones at that :) Nice choice :thumbup:

Thanks all.
They are 2 1/2 -3 inches and colours arent to bad for an all male group. I also added 4 porthole catfish to tank the day I took this (you can see one in the bottom of the pic) they seem to be settling in well and becoming bolder so hopefully I can get some pics of them in the next few days

004-3.jpg

I think these guys have to be one of the coolest catfish I've ever kept, bold as brass, quite active and more than happy to compete with other tank mates for food.

Well only 1 more type of fish left to add, ctenopoma acutirostre my lfs was out of stock so will have to wait till they get more in.

Well a quick update before I go and do some slash and burn gardening

001-1.jpg

So much for compacta staying small :rolleyes:

And the corymbosa reaching for the sky
003-1.jpg

Its curled where its been stuck under the lid

007-2.jpg

Well I've hacked everything back and added a lily from my 60cm, not sure I like it but ill give it a couple of weeks and see.

Hi Ollie, how is the tank doing?
I am very interested in the long term development of low tech tanks.

Cheers,
Mario

Back