• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Olympus is Calling.

dude that anubias looks like everyones goals for anubias sp.
anubias nana I take it?
hmmm.
looking at the bottom pic, for future.... innovation; maybe Christmas moss on that wide open log. Speaking of which I have the bug today to buy a bunch of moss and grow it... idk if I will o-o help meh.
Ty for the FTS's wish I had a feature that whenever someone posted a FTS it would alert me XD
epic pics!

dude that anubias looks like everyones goals for anubias sp.

Thank you 'Its not doing too bad' :) had to trim some out at weekend too
upload_2018-8-13_20-0-12.png

looking at the bottom pic, for future.... innovation; maybe Christmas moss on that wide open log

I would like to put something on it but not keen on moss in that DW, as the DW can not be removed for trimming the moss, so one trimming down the road and will have moss all over the tank. I do have another piece of DW that had Bucephalandra 'wavy green' on it
upload_2018-8-13_20-9-46.png

I took it out to help the carpet pickup, but put it in a tank with no turnover/flow and a week later most of it had melted, thinking of moss on there but cant make my mind up which one :rolleyes: Plan to use the yogurt method DSM in small tank flood it get it growing then add it back.

Your Gyres are a mere piffle in flow rate..

For Beckton super sewer pumping station...3000 litres per second with a head on 88 meters and only 3.4MWatt per pump :greedy:
upload_2018-8-14_13-41-30.png

Filter Media

Just thought I would share what filter media I have in my Fluval FX6

upload_2018-8-18_15-5-29.png

FX6 Coarse media sponges x6
FX6 Medium media sponges x2
Biohome Ulitmate 800grams (use to have it rammed with the 4Kg of Biohome)
Clean the filter every week and it needs it IMO

oof I have never cleaned my hydor professional 350 on my 40b
I mean I did like 2 times but that was a while ago >.>

Think my tank needs it to keep the flow/turnover as good as possible with the filter/pump output, yours my be fine with less cleaning OFC. Hoping the Gyres will reduce the maintenance by keeping the flow/turnover better, but always good to remove detritus esp when the tank feels like its on the edge :nailbiting:

Think my tank needs it to keep the flow/turnover as good as possible with the filter/pump output, yours my be fine with less cleaning OFC. Hoping the Gyres will reduce the maintenance by keeping the flow/turnover better, but always good to remove detritus esp when the tank feels like its on the edge :nailbiting:
I agree ur tank needs it as u clean it, seems to be working doesn't it? :D in such a large tank with that size filter I would suspect it'd need a good cleaning pretty often. Keep up the good work ;) !

Think I agree with Zeus on filter cleans, I used to leave ,manafacturer guidlines, to a couple of months on the externals 2000ltres hr claimed, started to never leave were possible longer than 2 weeks and so much better. The Impeller and housing every month

Think I agree with Zeus on filter cleans, I used to leave ,manafacturer guidlines, to a couple of months on the externals 2000ltres hr claimed, started to never leave were possible longer than 2 weeks and so much better. The Impeller and housing every month

I was a little concerned about a pump failure on my FX6 and the time it would take to get another, so priced up the pump and not that much more to buy another FX6! So got a second FX6, works well as I can have one cleaned canister ready pump removed cleaned and refitted ready so on WC day I just change the media over, even put the media baskets through the dishwasher every so often;) May sound a bit OTT but speeds up cleaning filter and having a spare gives peace of mind.

Makes sense ,think these things often overlooked in case of keeping a tank giong in case of worst scenario too.

Re-guarding my weekly filter cleaning it suddenly dawned on me WHY my tank needs/benifits from the high frequency cleans, the obvious is because it works for me OFC but I rarely vac gently over the substrate whilst removing water as its difficult with tank being hooded and braced and plus never got round to sorting a easy system of doing it :rolleyes:. I basically give the substrate a good waft with my hand stir up the detritus which gets it into suspension and the filter removes it, do it a few times before WC, hence the reason the sponges are always pretty dirty.

Have finally got round to sorting a VAC cleaning system out which I can attach to my hose to the garden pond
upload_2018-8-31_17-56-24.png

and got a turkey baser on order too ( have been meaning to order one for months :banghead:) Having seen the tanks at Green Aqua and how clean and algae free they was mine needs more maintenance fine tuning IMO

Wow Zeus I have just read through the whole journal what an inspiration you are. Well done the tank looks brilliant I take my hat off to you for all the graft you have put into this beautiful scape. I have a 400 litre low tech tank as I just dose liquid carbon and dose George farmers plant food every day. I have just rescaped my whole tank about 4 weeks ago I put loads of crypts in and they are still going through the melting stage. How many amano shrimp do you have now and do you have any cherrys I have 6 amano and 20 cheerys at the min but plan on getting more.

How many amano shrimp do you have now and do you have any cherrys I have 6 amano and 20 cheerys at the min but plan on getting more.

Started off with about 50 amano, but lost a few over the first year OFC but doing a count is very hard, some times it looks like I only have about 5 in the tank, added about 20 RCS recently but not seen any young ones yet but have in a smaller tank I put RCS in at the same time. Plus added about an another 40 amanos recently too. I never pay more than £2.00 for my Amanos or RCS when I go in to my LFS I ask how many do I have to buy to get your best price ;) Plus with tank being braced I never find amanos on the floor.

Is this one of the self priming / shake up and down ones?
1/2" hose size?

no its the one a got free with my Fluval FX6, it can be attached direct to the FX6 and recycle the water back to the tank but ends up in lots of tiny suspended particles in tank that way so only did it once. The mod I did yesterday was so I could prime it then attach it to my long hose, used it this morning, was pain in the butt. Lots of potential to get a major spillage of water, then after I gave the carpet a good waft and still got detritus coming up. Really think the Maxspect Gyres will help this tank as will be able to turn the flow up at wafting time which will keep the detritus in suspension longer then the filter can do the rest then clean the filter of detritus

it can be attached direct to the FX6 and recycle the water back to the tank
I thought the FX6 had some kind of vacuum as an option.
I'm looking for a hand pump siphon that gives me 1/2" either side so I can fit it to my hozelock.

Really think the Maxspect Gyres will help this tank as will be able to turn the flow up at wafting time which will keep the detritus in suspension longer then the filter can do the rest then clean the filter of detritus
So long as everything is well rooted, the fish might not thank you for cranking it up that high though!
You know maxspect will keep delaying release.

Back