• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

On edge of giving up Betta problem now

FishKeeper55

Got back from work went to feed our fish and notice one of the Betta eyes is bulging and is white :( , poor Blu is not looking fine, it hasn't been effected by white spots that I had to deal with recently but now this, due to be only on one side would you say is down to injury or some sort of infection?, looking around some say use salt to treat and some mention use of antibiotics once the fish is quarantine, I'm million % positive it didn't have this yesterday as I spent about hour just watching him swimming around, water parameters are normal as they can be only nitrate slightly high between20-40ppm but my tap water have in region of 20ppm anyway.

Don't know but at the moment is just one thing after another :banghead:

Any advice is welcome

20200921-161204-1.jpg

I had this problem a long time ago when I kept domestics, I believe I treated with 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to 5 gallons of tank water. If I were you, I’d spend a little extra this month on buying distilled water, the low pH of the water is very alike to the native habitat of Bettas. In addition, it would be best if you got your hands on some Indian Almond Leaves. They’ll stain your water brown along with antimicrobial properties and making your fish feel more at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like he's scratched it on something. To help it heal, and reduce the chance of it getting infected, do plenty of water changes, keep your filter clean, and add some of those Indian Almond leaves that @BrysonZheng recommends. Watch for any fungus (cotton wool looking stuff) appearing and treat it if it appears. You might want to check your tank for anything sharp or rough.

I'd second indian Almod leaves for their anti bacterial and anti fungal properties.

They also help to soften the water with humic acids (tannins). Your water sounds like it's probably pretty hard water (normally high nitrate from the tap goes along with hard water from what I've seen so making assumtions) and Beta's thrive in softer water.

He has popeye, as @BigD says. I agree also with the suggestion to use Indian Almond leaves (IAL).

In fact, what I would do is take some IAL and crush them, put them in a glass container with some freshly boiled water like you are making tea. Let the water cool, it will turn dark brown. Once it cools you can add some of the brown water to the Betta's tank- you can pour it through a tea strainer to remove the leaves. You want the tank water to at very least have a strong yellow tint- darker is better, until he heals. Be careful not to add ferts for the plants at the same time as adding IAL tea.

I find that, besides IAL, the best treatment for these kinds of illness is lots and lots of fresh, clean water. Depending on the size of the tank, I'd advise partial water changes every second or third day with added IAL tea (how big a PWC depends on the size tank he's in). I personally do not use salt in Betta tanks, having kept them for 30+ years. Bettas live in fresh water in the wild and salt is very hard on them despite common advice to medicate with salt.

Thanks everyone for you advice, due to having plants in tank I don't want to chuck salt in there as this will be fix one problem create another :(, is small 30l tank but he is not there alone, plans have change over last couple of months ect., regards Blu, I will be getting another tank to setup which will have only betta but this won't be happening till weekend, I have discussed with daughter and we both agreed that will be best to have completely own tank for betta, what I have done at this moment is placed plastic container about 1/4 size of tank and placed bit of mopani wood which will leach tannins out, not looking pretty but will do for couple of days, due to having no filtration in that section will keep changing small portion of water twice daily to make sure is oxygenated, hopping the temp won't drop to low as this is submerge in aquarium, failing all this I have spoken to local aquatic shop they will be happy to house him for couple weeks to help with the recovery. I spent to many hours getting the tank to look what we both like I just won't die the water brown in this tank.

Finally Blu has recovered, I have used the aquarium salt in small dosage over 4 day period, this followed by another week in his tank with out any meds but you could see daily he was getting better.

This lad is strong

d78c672f5742975e7eafc990f5647162.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back