• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

On the Edge -goes iwagumi p2

Ian Holdich

I have wanted to start a nano tank for ages, i wanted to see if i could do it really cheap and make it look 'OK'. All i have spent is on the tank and 2 ninja shrimp. The tank was £12 from P@H and the shrimp was £4.

Tank- 13l P@H special

Lighting- 1 x 8 watt tube fitted as an under cupboard light.

Filtration- Internal free with tank, 300lph (stuffed with floss to slow flow)

Substrate- Courtesy of the great british coutryside (my local lake)

Hardscape- Rock given to me by LFS (free)

ferts- None (may use some Flourish if needed)

Plants- Pogostemon Helferi, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Eleocharis parvula.

Livestock- 2 x Ninja Shrimp, to be followed by Cherry's courtesy Supercoley

the tank
newtank1.jpg

the substrate (well washed)
newtank2.jpg

Pebbles
newtank3.jpg

Hardscape in
newtank4.jpg

top veiw
newtank5.jpg

top veiw with plants
newtank6.jpg

water in (still a bit cloudy)
newtank8.jpg

nice reflection!
newtank7.jpg

time for a cuppa
newtank9.jpg

all done for a whopping £16! Still a bit cloudy, will post some better pics when settles and shimps aren't hiding.

any comments/critiques welcome.

Re: On the Edge (nano shrimp tank)

£16.00!!! wow

haha looks great, why slow the flow?? was it stirimg up the sand?

cheers!

Neil, got the ninja shrimp from my local Maidenheads at Lincoln. They are quite intresting, even though i ain't seen much of them. They do change colours though! 2 shrimp for £4, i thought was a lot. Getting some cherrys on sunday and they apparently breed with ninjas and produce some good colours.

nayr, I slowed the flow a bit as the shrimp were being blown about, they are still quite small. I'm looking at getting a small external for the tank.

ianho said:
though i ain't seen much of them.

They are Ninja Shrimp! I would say that you're lucky to be alive. Do you get many surprise shuriken attacks at feeding times? ;) :p :thumbup:

Liking the setup, I'm tempted to attempt something similar myself!

Can't believe there's no Ninja smiley on here :( I was just about to use it for the first time.

AC

Really like the scape.
Ninja Shrimp for that Price is very good. Hoping My MA get some in soon.

Thats bobtastic Bobtastic. Consider these boys captch'd

1703.gif

AC

i thought i'd try my decent cameran on this tank and the pics came out a lot better than my big tank. Also when in MA a few days ago, i had a look at an Arc pod for the lighting, the price was £33 for a 9 watt. As i wanted to keep the tank quite low tech and not spend a lot on it i didn't bother. Anyways searching the intermacweb last night i came across said lighting on a Koi carp shopping website for £15!! Straight to the printer and down to MA this morning. Price matched 'kerching'

sorry, more pics with new light.
(excuse the plug sockets, it was only a try out)

nanoshrimp1.jpg

nanoshrimp2.jpg

nanoshrimp3.jpg

nanoshrimp4.jpg

i was just wondering regarding lighting small tanks, i wanted to keep this as low tech as poss, what should i do re dosing easycarbo? would you wait and see how thing start reacting ie if theres any algae growth, poor plant growth ect ect
thanks

bad times...

i had problems a couple of weeks ago with a couple of shrimp passing over to shrimp heaven. Last week i lost about 6 shrimp in one day. I took the rest out and they are now in my main tank. I really don't know what it was. I took the substrate out as i feel this might have had something to do with it (washed well, but who knows). I have bought a 5 litre bag of Monando and used that. Took a hammer to the rocks and decieded to go more 'iwagumi'. I have used some of the Riccia that has grown, some HC cuba and java moss.

i will post more pics when the riccia grows out.

nanoigwami-1.jpg

thanks Jo, got a coople more pics, with background.

nanoigwami2.jpg

nanoigwami3.jpg

nanoigwami4.jpg

Looks 100% better in my opinion :thumbup: ,are you adding any easy carbo or such like,
cheers
john.

thanks John, and yes am dosing easycarbo and just flourish at the moment. Not sure it'll need any N and P ?

cheers Mark, that means a lot coming from you. It did take me a week messing about with them. I just didn't stretch it to 20 pages lol.

Back