• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Once upon a time at the riverbank - Final update

GreenNeedle

This is the start of the journal following me taking down 'Celestial Rapture'.

A quick recap of the Tech Specs:

125Ltr 80cm Fluval tank
Tetratec EX700 external Filter
Hydor ETH200 inline filter
Koralia1 circulation pump
Pressurised CO2 through glass diffuser
37W 5500K LED lighting 9 hours a day set to sunrise/sunset stagger.

Plants:
Philippine Java Fern
Needle Leaf Fern
Anubias Barteri v Nana
Cryptocoryne Undulata
Cryptocoryne Wilisii
Cryptocoryne Becketti
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica
Cryptocoryne Parva

Livestock:
6 x Corydoras Schultzei black (breeding group)
2 x Otocinclus Macrospilus
3 x Microrasbora Erythmicron
Cherry Shrimp
and 25 x Rasbora Espei tht are due tomorrow

Starting with the hardscape cleaned up from the previous setup:
hardscape.jpg

Then we have the plants from the previous scape that I am taking into this scape:
plantsused.jpg

And the substrate all tidied up:
Substratesloped.jpg

First off I attached the Philippine Fern to it's 'mount' with.......
pFernglue.jpg

And then I attached the needles and Anubias to the main hardscape pieces. Next step was to put the wood into the tank:
Hardscape-1.jpg

Finally for this post, I added the cobbles/pebbles around the base of the wood ready to fill up:
completeHardscape.jpg

Can't show you pictures of the finished planted setup yet because I cannot see into the tank. lol. I have a fluval3+ in there with carbon inside and filter wool to clear it up ASAP. This is on top of a 50% change 10 hours after initial setup.

AC

Re: Once upon a time at the riverbank 125Ltr

Nice hardscape. With your fern growing skills this will look awesome. What about the left hand side. Is it going to be stems only?

I don't do stems :lol: Several different varieties of Crypts will fill the rest of the scape out

AC

Cool. I love crypts. In fact the more I looked at your previous scape, the more I want to do a hardscape, ferns, crypts-only scape myself.

Thats quite a spread of plants you got there! is super glue OK to use in a tank?

Very nice andy, I can't help but feel thereneeds to be something to link the left hand island to the right hand garden, otherwise very nice!

Looks great, can't wait to see the pics of how it is now! :D

Tonser said:
Do you attach everything to the wood with glue ?

Everything you see in that picture apart from a couple of Anubias is superglued. Some of the Anubias I was able to 'stuff' in a gap in the rocks/wood. Of all the pieces only 1 came off when the water went in so I had to resort to the hated cotton thread. Yes superglue is safe in the fish tank. Let it go hard first though. 10-20 minutes is fine and you can spray the plants in this period as moisture is the bonding agent for Superglue.

I can't help but feel thereneeds to be something to link the left hand island to the right hand garden
When you see it with all the Crypts in it may look better and less isolated. I have left a little 'path' through between the 2 sections and there is a huge amount of Crypt on the left now. Just has to learn to grow upward now instead of sideways as there is no fern above it blocking light :)

Still quite cloudy now but the carbon is doing it's job. I can see the back now. lol

AC

thats class andy. real different.

look forward to a clear full frontal shot!

you going to keep this one slow growing plants only?
Yep I think I've settled after trialling all sorts of different types of plants on the traditional 'slow growers'. I find it easier to control and they tend to grow together well rather than several different types all growing at different rates.

look forward to a clear full frontal shot!
Should be clear enough tomorrow to take a pic with the new inhabitants :) 25 x Rasbora Espei due tomorrow to add to the current stock which is quite low :)

AC

Jungle is dead 8)

Welcome to the dark side Andy (aquascaping)

Give it time to grow and then........Jungle lives again ;)

AC

A few shots of the finished article. Far from clear still but you can at least see through it now. lol

The 25 Rasbora Espei are in there and look great but still to colour up fully.

Full frontal shot:
Frontplanted.jpg

And a little closer in:
closeplanted.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it and can't wait for it to fill out :)

AC

brilliant mate, spot on. cant find fault at all :D

imagine what it will end up looking like if it looks so good so soon

Back