• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Once upon a time at the riverbank - Final update

Re: Once upon a time at the riverbank 125Ltr

All you need to do for Mosquito Larvae is put some water in a bucket. Add some grass cuttings which will help you get some green water. Leave it in the garden, The sunnier the spot the better

A couple of weeks later, Take the grass cuttings off the top and put in another bucket. Then pour the 2 week old bucket into the one you just put the grass cuttings into through a fishnet.

Get a small tub of dechlor water and empty the contents of the net into it.

Repeat every 2 weeks.

No problems with mosquito larvae in the tank turning into mosquitos because they need stagnant green water. Our circulation stops them surviving but they wriggle well and the fish love it :)

AC

This post is entitled 'what a difference a day makes :)

I have been quite outspoken in the past r.e. black backgrounds and how clear /light backgrounds looked much better but when seeing Mark's (Saintly) latest photos I noticed that it looked amazing. To me the light was the thing that added the extra to it. From the pictures his lights looked to be giving the same appearance to the plants as mine so I thought I would try it out. Tell me what you think (Sorry I didn't wait for the fish to behave and the CO2 is still going and is half an hour after water change to boot :lol: )

No photoshop and no changes made. These are straight from the camera with EV @ -1.0, white balance on daylight fluorescent, no flash and timer on 2 seconds. After that I've just used MSPaint to put the black border on :)

frontblack.JPG

Just to show you how I did the background to test. The black is a hairdressers 'poncho' that came with the clippers I use to do my 'crew cut' then it is pegged to the top of the tank and the wood lent against it to stop light shining through it. Finally teatowels are hung over the front to block the light from messing about with the camera :)

woodleft.jpg

woodright.jpg

frontraw.jpg

AC

Wow, when I saw it I thought you had done a rescape or something!

It's made a great difference and I think you should keep it.

My tank has a black background and I never really notice it any more but I would be lost without it.

Never liked black backgrounds and still don't :p If you like it keep it but it's not for me. I always feel they suck the life out of a scape. :thumbdown:

I love this tank. It's one of my favourite I have to say. Great effort. The lighting rig Looks great too. I'd love to have the whole right to left through the day effect.

Excellent job!

Its been a long time since I updated this as I have been suffering a huge lack of motivation to do anything at all. Not just with the tank but with most things in general. This is a 'backdated' update so to speak with pictures from 16th August.

You may notice the improvement in my photography ;) Thats because Mark (Saintly) came round and took some shots for me :lol: and they look superb. These are prior to me going on holiday.

full1.jpg

11.jpg

21.jpg

31.jpg

full_tank1.jpg

AC

next time andy, we'll have some targets to hit, and spend a bit more time on it....and get some fish that play ball :lol:

quality scape my friend

It's maturing great! Really does look like a jungly river bank.

I want. :mad:

That is wonderful. It has grown in so nicely. Somehow it looks more like something that you might actually see out in nature, rather than a planted garden.

next time andy, we'll have some targets to hit, and spend a bit more time on it....and get some fish that play ball

quality scape my friend
Cheers matey. This one will be around for a long time hopefully. I have to thank you again for the photos. They do look great.
Dan Crawford said:
That looks awesome Andy! Well impressive, i bet your chuffed with it :D
Indeed I am. Hence why I decided to keep it and therefore have sold the pressurised. No need for CO2 to maintain it as the much slower growth is more desirable now :)
wow. really nice tank mate! this looks awesome.
That is wonderful. It has grown in so nicely. Somehow it looks more like something that you might actually see out in nature, rather than a planted garden.
Congrats, Andy (and Mark)!
The 'scape has been done justice by the photography and the overall result is excellent.
excellent scape, adding a surface ripple changes the picture too
It's maturing great! Really does look like a jungly river bank.
I want.
Well done Andy, truly amazing. Loving the fern.
Thanks for the compliments guys.

AC

aaronnorth said:
have you reduced the lighting then? or was it pretty low to begin with?

I have reduced it in terms of lengthening the increments of the stagger. In other words the full 5 series are now only on for the central hour and there is only 1 series for the first and last hour.

Used to be 4 hours with the full 5 series and 1 series for the first and last half hour.

So the total lighting is the same but less light overall through the photoperiod.

AC

Back