• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

One filter or two?

jaycat

Hi,

I want to upgrade my filter to a larger one for better water circulation. I have a 4' tank with a Fluval 305 running. I also have a 105 that can be cycled and used, OR do I go for just a fluval 405?

I'm concerned too that co2 is not being distributed around all of the aquarium.

So, 1 filter or 2?

Thanks J

jaycat said:
So, 1 filter or 2?
Two filters are not necessary but I would prefer it, in case one breaks, keep the 305 and add a 405 ;)
Important is flow and you could get good results by adding a powerhead or two instead of the filter, althought that clutters the tank more if you don't like items inside it.

I have the external filter, internal filter and 3 powerheads in my Juwel LOL
700+1000+400+900+1500=3600lph turnover and I still think its not good enough!!!

Thanks.

I had a powerhead in there for circulation, but 2 of my Ottos died by... well not very nice circumstances.

Then I put a small filter in, about 6", and another Otto got his tail caught in a gap between the leads at the top and was almost dead. Fortunately I saw him and managed to release his tail. He's fine now. So thta has really put me off using them again.

jaycat said:
Thanks.

I had a powerhead in there for circulation, but 2 of my Ottos died by... well not very nice circumstances.

Then I put a small filter in, about 6", and another Otto got his tail caught in a gap between the leads at the top and was almost dead. Fortunately I saw him and managed to release his tail. He's fine now. So thta has really put me off using them again.

Sorry to ear about the bad experiences, I have the two Koralias in my tank with Ottos and never had any problems, gaps are too small for Ottos to get in there ;)

i run 2 externals and an internal on my tanks

internal always running + spare cheap little tank from eBay + cheap little heater = instant QT tank + extra flow

Um that has got me thinking now then. Maybe it would be better to go for 2 Koralias 1 powerheads, and hold off upgrading the fluval for a few more weeks.

It would definately help with the couple of dead spots and co2 distribution.

Thanks for your ideas. Jackie

Hi,
In my opinion the advantages of multiple filters, especially on a tank that size are undeniable. Aesthetically, there is less clutter, and the added filtration capacity is always a plus. See a thorough discussion on the thread:=> High water turnover

If affordable, I'd opt for using two Fluval 405s on that tank. 8)

Cheers,

Hi Clive,

Just read that post front to back very interesting indeed, thanks for that mate I missed that one when browsing through this sites archives, well worth reading.

Personally I like the idea of having two filters as a back up system, similar in principle to why people back up computer hard drives. If one fails then you don't loose everything, the tank is still effectivly filtered whilst in its reduced capacity (assuming both filters have adequate capacity for the tank they are used on in there own right) and you will still have enough of a bacteria colony left to re-seed the failed filter once its restarted or replaced if the need arises. Now correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that once the oxygen is depleted within a filter the bacteria die off fairly quickly possibly even within a couple of hours serious damage could occur to the bacteria colony. Now if you only had one tank which was quite heavily stocked you could end up in a lot of trouble quite quickly as you would be effectivly cycling a tank from scratch again should the filter fail and it went unnoticed for a few days. However if you have multiple tanks and filters available to you its not nearly as much of a problem to deal with.

Therefore to add my pennyworth of advise into the melting pot here I would suggest that if you only have one tank always go for multiple filters for safteys sake if you can. But if you have multiple tanks and filters at your disposal then you can safely consider putting all your eggs (or bacteria in this case) in one basket. The old addage 'the more the merrier' still applies though, IMO.

Back