• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

One filter or two?

Mouse

Hi everyone I have a 5 foot tank and going to go down the road of Aquascaping and I bought the 850 biomaster thermo, is one good enough to run a 5ft tank or will I need two of them thanks in advance Aidan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the tank volume? Oase 850 is around 1500L/H I think but you can slash that through gravity being under tank etc and any further inline equipment. With 5ft tank I'd be inclined to maybe use a cheaper filter to help with flow/circulation. Or even a wave maker/pump ?

Will you be injecting CO2? If so a good guideline is to have the rated flow at 10x tank volume per hour. That flow can be from the filter(s) alone, or filter plus circulation pump.
Rated flow, as in what the maker claims, - the actual flow will usually be a lot less.

I run two filters on my larger tanks, two are easier to tweak the flow without having it on full blast and you double the amount or biological media.

I always prefer two. I even run two on a 90 litre tank and think that the rated flow is approaching 20 x. I’ve had all round better plant growth and tank health since I upgraded to two filters 👍

But you need to make special consideration for making the tank habitable for your livestock and plants, with this much filter power. It’s no good if the flow washes everything away

Last edited:
Back