• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oodinium without Host

FishWorks

Hello fellow Ukaps members!

I am interested in making a planted tank and populating it with small fishes like Cardinal Tetra that I have already quarantined.
But before I do that, I would like to make sure the planted tank is free of parasites (the display tank).

I was wondering if the Oodinium/ Velvet parasite would be starved to death by setting the planted aquarium temperature to 28C or 82F and leaving it without fishes for 2 weeks?

During this time, i will continue with medium lighting, 25-30ppm of CO2 and EI fertilization.

can anyone share with me their experiences?

Cheers
-Harris

Hi all,
I was wondering if the Oodinium/ Velvet parasite would be starved to death by setting the planted aquarium temperature to 28C or 82F and leaving it without fishes for 2 weeks?
Yes that <"should work">. Even though the parasite (Piscinoodinium pillulare) is a photosynthetic Dinoflagellate, it still needs a host to complete its life cycle.

cheers Darrel

Back