• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Roly the black foam seems to be just standard filter foam from memory.

Just slots into the bottom would be easy to cut a new one from another source and put it in.

If you need measurements just give me a shout :)

Roly, While I wouldn't advise spending money on new gear when you can make what you have work... On this occasion I will.
I cant recommend the Eheim liberties enough for shrimp tanks. Due to the waterfall nature of the returning water it creates high O2 levels which is key for inverts.
The Eheim sponges are great as you can easily pull one out ever other week to rinse and you have the option of having no top on it to fill with emersed plants if you like.
As they are now discontinued, zoo plus is doing them at 20% off. I just bought the biggest one for £20 odd quid to go in shed before they are gone. I'd recommend doing the same as the flow is adjustable and then it is ready for the next nano, not matter the size.
It's a small investment that will pay itself back over and over :)

Roly, While I wouldn't advise spending money on new gear when you can make what you have work... On this occasion I will.
I cant recommend the Eheim liberties enough for shrimp tanks. Due to the waterfall nature of the returning water it creates high O2 levels which is key for inverts.
The Eheim sponges are great as you can easily pull one out ever other week to rinse and you have the option of having no top on it to fill with emersed plants if you like.
As they are now discontinued, zoo plus is doing them at 20% off. I just bought the biggest one for £20 odd quid to go in shed before they are gone. I'd recommend doing the same as the flow is adjustable and then it is ready for the next nano, not matter the size.
It's a small investment that will pay itself back over and over :)

LOL
Thanks Iain. Like the "I don't normally but I will" comment.
Your advice as ever is greatly appreciated. That is an interesting design. Not one I have seen in my limited time fishkeeping etc. O2 is something that I am keen to nail in my nano.
I shall have a look.
Cheers
Roly

Week and half into he new tank up and running.
Plants are doing ok,without CO2 but I can see a little algae, but hey ho I will keen a close look.

I got my TDS pen through the post from a seller on eBay. And of course realised that all he shrimp breeders on breeders and keepers are talking in conductivity and not TDS ppm. Doh. Thankfully someone mentioned in another post to keep the TDS to 120-180. I did a test and it was 125.

I got my cheapy waste of money test kit out to just do a few tests to see if the ammonia and nitrites and nitrate levels had settled. To my surprise the ammonia and nitrates had settled.

So I decided to get a couple of extra Amano shrimp to help keep the algae down in the new tank.

I drip acclimatised them over a 2hr period and then let them loose into the tank. I added some dried leaves too.

Still annoyed that the work would not sink and thus my plant is bound to a piece of slate rock. Don't laugh it's pitiful.

3asu7uva.jpg

byva3uja.jpg
5a7abydu.jpg

Am now researching the minerals, food and anything else I need .
Cheers
Roly

Tie the WOOD to the slate! Then bury slate in substrate...
Also floating plants would be good to diffuse your light a bit to prevent algae.

Hi Lindy
I took the wood out as a temp measure as it was still leaching this slime coating around it. So I have left the plant attached to slate just for it to be attached to something.
I am hoping that the wood will stop doing its slime coating thing and I can transfer it back to the tank.

Floating plants - Good idea. I will ask on the buy and sale section. Any recommendations for a nano tank?

Just been monitoring the TDS which after todays water change etc appears to be 800. So I hope this will go down.
I think 3 weeks time I will switch to RO water, get some Salty Shrimp - Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+.
I will transfer the Amano into a bag add the RO water and then drip acclimatise them to the new water.
R

Hi all,
And of course realised that all he shrimp breeders on breeders and keepers are talking in conductivity and not TDS ppm
Just multiply the TDS value by ~2, all TDS meters actually measure conductivity and then divide by a conversion factor (somewhere in between 0.5 to 0.64, it should tell you on the meter).
Just been monitoring the TDS which after todays water change etc appears to be 800
That is pretty salty.
Floating plants - Good idea. I will ask on the buy and sale section. Any recommendations for a nano tank?
Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum).

cheers Darrel

Have slightly re arranged the plants and dropped the wood back in.

Thought was all good until the last few days where I can see the translucent slime on the end of the wood. Which incidentally has sunk finally.
u7eqy4av.jpg

And some more pictures.

eqaqu8e3.jpg

yse9agy6.jpg

TDS is still approx 300.

Hoping when I am ready to put RO water in this will come down.

Back