• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Open Book

I have a friend here in my hometown that breeds the most amazing cpd's.
Unlike the imported ones from LFS they are not shy or skittish at all, healthy tankbred local stock. Amazing in my 60L tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw some in my local fish shop and they just hid, i'll have to find some that aren't skittish as it would be a shame if they just hid all the time!

Ross did you see alto's post? Its been the light all along....mine is working at 100% and things are looking better now...melting is one thing and not having growth is another ;)

Hi Alto,

I did lower the lighting from 90% as I was getting Algae. My thinking was to slowly increase this over the next few weeks once I was happy that the Monte Carlo was settled.

I am doing a 50% water change every three days as I have added more ADA substrate so am mindful of the Ammonia spike.

I does the ferts daily, alternate days for Macro and Micro with none on Sundays when I do a 50% water change as well.

The reason I have been doing double was to eliminate CO2 as the issue. However i'm happy this isn't the case anymore so will decrease the doseage. I'm also being more accurate with my EI dosing!

I did lower the lighting from 90% as I was getting Algae
I suspect the algae is coming from "everything" rather than just the lighting - it's fine to lower light intensity but then with the slower growth, fertilizer need will also decrease, also CO2 requirements ... for visual evidence of plant growth without excess of CO2 & fertilizers, watch the Tropica videos - while some are high filter turnover, high levels CO2, increased amounts of daily fertilizers, there are also many display tanks that run with stock tank lighting, internal filters & low CO2 ... it's really about finding the balance - which is the tricky bit :D

Water change every 3 days is more in the Tropica method, ADA suggests daily large water changes upon initial startup (ie new ADA soil) so if you're reducing the water change frequency, I'd also reduce the fertilizers (water change works as a "reset" to limit buildup of fertilizers) - you can still add daily if that suits, but be careful of amounts (ADA doses very lightly in Step 1).

If you're getting much melt, then increase to daily water changes, removing as much debris from healthy plant as possible - not so easy as you don't to disrupt plant rooting (this is where shrimp are much more adept than human hands ;) )
If you begin to see melt on the MC, try planting separate stems rather than "clumps"

How is the L brasiliensis doing? some suggest trimming back the emerse growth to stimulate new submerse leaves - just watch for algae sneaking in on the emerse leaf.

I believe you were intending to pick up a TDS meter - can you measure daily TDS? this may give you an indication of what's happening with your fertilizer additions.

CPD hiding in the fish shop tanks is not unusual, unless shop has a suitable tank with low lighting & loads of cover & in a quiet area & no other fish (so only net incursions are for CPD) & a large enough shoal ...

Hi Alto,

Getting the balance is where i am struggling. I'm very cautious about increasing the lighting which i think has held me back a bit to be honest.

As i added more Aquasoil, probably an additional third of the total substrate volume i have been doing them every 3 days, just to reduce the ammonia. I want to do them every Sunday llike the EI dosing regieme suggests.

I did notice a small bit of melt today, so i removed the plants, they were fine yesterday. Photos below. They were on one clump of Monte Carlo and some Helferi to the front at the right hand side. I think i have been blocking the flow to it with a rock, so i will remove the rock. If i notice anymore i will seperate the clumps like you suggest.

Monte Melt_16.JPG

Right Side_16.JPG

The L Brasiliensis isn't doing much to be honest i'll give a trim and see how it goes.

My TDS is 240, i measured this just after the water change so i will measure it again tomorrow and then daily going forward and update the Journal.

I love CPDs, i really want about 20 in the tank with some Ottos and maybe some corys, i am mindful about overstocking the tank though!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Ross

30 CPD's would be awesome!!!

I love Panda Cory's but i think they would be too big for the size of the plants. Maybe a Pygmy Cory?

The TDS today was 257, would this be ok for tiger shrimps? I'm a newbie when it comes to shrimps!

Just some update pics:

FTS
1_16.JPG

SIDE
3_16.jpg

RED! They look a lot more red than this photo, i'll see if i can get a better photo!
4_16.JPG

Unhappy Helferi
2_16.jpg

I think I'm going to seperate them out as they were planed in bunches!

I love Panda Cory's but i think they would be too big for the size of the plants. Maybe a Pygmy Cory?

The TDS today was 257, would this be ok for tiger shrimps? I'm a newbie when it comes to shrimps!
I wouldn't add corys to a tank with carpet plants mine did a superb job of digging them up.

A tds of 250 is probably a bit high for tiger shrimp. Neocaridina davidi would be a better option

So the Helferi in the middle of the tank melted. It was under a bit of shade but was certainly getting CO2. THe Helferi at the front doesn't seem to be doing much and that is getting plenty of CO2. Does Helferi prefer harder warter??

melt_16.jpg

Helferi at the front:

ph_16.jpg

Hi Jaap!

Looks like your right! I think I will add iron to my EI mix. I'll do some research to see what I need to do! I've read it is a very iron hungry plant!

Thanks Jaap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok so I already have iron in my Chelated Trace Micro mix. I suppose I could just dose more of this!?

Ok so I already have iron in my Chelated Trace Micro mix. I suppose I could just dose more of this!?

If you're doing EI, you're already providing the maximum amount of levels that the plants can use. Perhaps you could try creating a solution and dosing directly onto the plants with a pipette? I've done this with melting S.Repens in the past and it has helped. It won't hurt to add more ferts, but i think directly dosing is more likely to have an effect.

Back