• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Opinions on hardscape

Djoko Sauza

Have been playing around with some hardscape in preparation for a rescape of my TMC signature 600. I'm looking to do a triangular shape.

Please let me know what you think:
92342910_521956108517757_6255663116944670720_n.jpg

After playing around a bit in Photoshop:
hardscape3.png

It's kind of hard to visualize but if any focal points or plant placements seem wrong to you don't hesitate to point it out.

After looking at it for a while I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't look better as a grass and moss scape. Just green, 3 or 4 plant species in total, Amano style. Opinions?

I mainly chose these plants because I have most of them already and it's a nice variety to keep me entertained. Would a grass and moss scape get boring after a while? Like an iwagumi?

I like the first option, perhaps have some overhanging smaller branches from rocks into sand. I’ll be following this, keep up the good work :thumbup:

94703517_243186543713967_7165705518042841088_n.jpg

A bit of a more traditional version, lower to the ground as well, which is good considering I only have 30cm of height to play with.

Plan is to have a sandy foreground, rotalas at the back with MC carpet trailing down the rocks, moss on branches, the usual stuff. Maybe some trident fern for mid ground. Not really original I know, but I have been too adventurous lately so I need something proven to work.

As always your thoughts are very welcome.

Third is my favorite, but in another mood I’d argue for second ;)

First seems to offer more planting space, which I always like in my aquarium but in First I don’t like the “stump”
- even when obscured behind plant growth, it seems too ‘clunky’ compare to the rest of the layout ... maybe moss and small epiphytes growing out of the moss base would soften this effect

I do always like that driftwood trailing look :D

What sort of fish are you thinking?

Third is my favorite, but in another mood I’d argue for second ;)

First seems to offer more planting space, which I always like in my aquarium but in First I don’t like the “stump”
- even when obscured behind plant growth, it seems too ‘clunky’ compare to the rest of the layout ... maybe moss and small epiphytes growing out of the moss base would soften this effect

I do always like that driftwood trailing look :D

What sort of fish are you thinking?

Yes, I would definitely want to hide the stump!

As for fish something small, discreet and hardy would be nice. Not too colourful. A small school plus a couple of centrepiece fish? Any ideas?

Thanks for the video, will check it out.

Last edited:
Definitely number 3! The perspective and intensity is great.

I also like number 1, it flows well and is a good example of a triangular scape. But i would say number 3 is a more advanced and considered version of number 1 if that makes any sense ;)

The first time I looked I thought 3, which I think is the obvious choice but coming back to it, I don't dislike number 2, that scape could work well too for a different style, They're all workable scapes with some nice thought that's gone into them for sure. They could all come to life with some decent plants in them.

I like 3 too. Love the rock work and the wood scale, especially the thickest branches growing from the largest rock areas.
One thing I always feel about triangular scapes like this however is that they just ‘start’ from the right (or left) and everything goes from there which can look a little unnatural to me at least. Your wood follows nicely with the direction of the descending stones which is perfect, but with the striata lines in the rock opposing this direction I feel you could add a bit of tension in the wood by adding or replacing a piece to compliment this. I believe you can see this as the more upright piece the the right is trying to do this. Perhaps a more curved piece here which initially opposes the direction, but then bends to follow it would be nice....it’s something I always try to do just to soften the harsh ‘starting’ line of the scape. Alternatively just another thick short piece which gives a hint to this direction would work too.
Maybe I’m not making too much sense so I’ll try a rudimentary edit to your photo to illustrate what I mean :D
A little like this, sorry but the edit is poor, but you’ll get the idea, a curved double direction piece:

59EE60F9-8257-4BFA-BAF1-5F39BB7B9F20.jpeg

or maybe better, leaving all as it is but just add another small thick piece:

9DA66CE4-680A-4B99-B0EA-B0DA8D8D381E.jpeg

Anyway, that’s just my two cents worth, the scape looks great as it is but food for thought.....

cheerio,

Hi Ady thanks for the reply. Your journal was actually quite inspiring for me, it's the reason I decided on the talawa wood and seyriu stone combination.

Your suggestions make sense to me. They would bring more balance to the hardscape.

These sort of details I tend to overlook.

My plan is to have a sort of riverbank feeling, having a really high right side of the scape by using a slope, hardscape and by filling it with plants, having most background branches sticking out of a bush of rotala. If I can achieve this, adding or removing some wood there won't be hard.

So I'll definitely have a play with it once everything is in the actual tank, in around 2 months if everything goes according to plan. Then 1 more month of DSM and finally I'd fill it!

Hi Ady thanks for the reply. Your journal was actually quite inspiring for me, it's the reason I decided on the talawa wood and seyriu stone combination.

Your suggestions make sense to me. They would bring more balance to the hardscape.

These sort of details I tend to overlook.

My plan is to have a sort of riverbank feeling, having a really high right side of the scape by using a slope, hardscape and by filling it with plants, having most background branches sticking out of a bush of rotala. If I can achieve this, adding or removing some wood there won't be hard.

So I'll definitely have a play with it once everything is in the actual tank, in around 2 months if everything goes according to plan. Then 1 more month of DSM and finally I'd fill it!
Cool, pleased the combination inspired you, it does work really well together.
Your plan sounds great and I will look forward to following progress.
cheerio,

Back