• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions on the "new" england

GreenNeedle

Game just finished 2-0 to England and I must say that Capello for me seems much better.

He didnt risk too many big names looking to Wednesdays match and also gave Theo Walcott, Glen Johnson and Downing their chances.

First half Walcott and Johnson were ggod, downing was useless (as always), Defoe was not to be seen.

To my surprise the an England manager actually said enough and changed the players that werent doing their job for once and not the usual perplexing changes (or non changes) off came Defoe and Downing and on came Joe Cole and Heskey.

3 minutes later and England were in the lead.

If nothing else at least we finally have an England Manager who can see whats wrong at half time and sort it out rather than wait for 79 minutes to alter things.

What were your thoughts.

AC

They were much better than against the Czech Republic. I went to see them at Wembley for that and the one thing that stood out about Defoe is that he never ran until the ball was kicked. No speculative attempts, no creativity, he just waited for someone to kick it forward and then ran, too late, and missed it. We all cheered when Heskey was brought on and I NEVER thought I'd do that! Defoe wouldn't be picked if we had any half decent strikers.

Walcott was good tonight and really added some pace and sparkle. I think he and Joe Cole should start Wednesday on the sides and then it's whether you want Beckham in the middle with Lampard IMHO, or Barry. The defence wasn't tested but A.Cole and Johnson looked good supporting the attacks.

Problem is 2-0 against Andorra really isn't good enough is it? At least they looked like they wanted to be there and were bothered tonight. First time the 'overpaid millionaires' have done that for a while.

I would keep Barry there and drop Lampshade. Hes too greedy shooting on sight and gives the ball away/fouls too much.

My team would be:

James, Bridge, Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Barry, Beckham, J Cole, Walcott, Rooney, Heskey.

Bridge would be controversial but hes a better defender and a great crosser of the ball from the left which would allow Joe Cole to come inside whenever he wants with Bridge overlapping.

If you watch England with the 2 coles playing they both do exactly the same thing and cut inside which is strange seeing as Ashley Cole is supposed to be left footed!!!

Been saying it for years but noone listens. lol

AC

I agree with your team exactly except I'd stick with A.Cole as in lots of England games he's been our best winger!!! The only negative I have with Joe Cole (also his biggest positive too) is that he spends too much time in the box or dropping down to try and get the ball (and Capello was 'telling' him this through the match and they had words after the match apparently) so at least you should have one Cole on the wing most of the time then! A lot of the time tonight it was three at the back and A.Cole was up on the wing doing a pretty good job. Not perfect but at least he adds a good attacking option.

I bet thought the starting team is James, A.Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Brown, J.Cole, Lampard, Barry, Beckham, Rooney and Defoe on Wednesday.

Back