• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Opinions please 900 jungle/nature style

Andrew Butler

Here's my 900, decided to go with a nature/jungle style how does the start look?
I will have more wood and soil behind the rocks and probably a few more stones.
*edit This is just to give a general idea of things; I have more stone to add yet and am thinking of changing this to more smaller pieces of stone. I'm thinking about using some plastic behing the gaps to stop the soil spilling through and planting between the gaps.
20180225_135529.jpg
20180225_135523.jpg

Last edited:
Similar comments to your other one mate, nice pieces but I wouldn't have any stones on the left and group all the ones you have around the base of the wood on the right with them getting smaller the further left you go

Have you tried using that big stone on the left stood up and slanted in the 600? I would.

Again though awesome wood and stone but all too tidy, maybe try closing one eye and getting a bit skeewiff with it all lol

Similar comments to your other one mate, nice pieces but I wouldn't have any stones on the left and group all the ones you have around the base of the wood on the right with them getting smaller the further left you go
I'm looking at making something a little along the lines of this one from aquarium gardens only different planting. The front stone is very wall like but when the plants are inbetween and over the top it breaks it all up.
Well that's the idea.
16996331_710155215830351_2129466964390493875_n.jpg

I'm looking at making something a little along the lines of this one from aquarium gardens only different planting. The front stone is very wall like but when the plants are inbetween and over the top it breaks it all up.
Well that's the idea.
View attachment 113520

OK got more of an idea of what you want which is the main thing, but if you were to number the stones 1 to 4 from left to right

Try this order instead: 3, 2, 1, 4

Remember the wood doesn't need to be propped up by the stones, if you get a bit creative you could either use substrate or other stones behind as well etc....

Remember the wood doesn't need to be propped up by the stones, if you get a bit creative you could either use substrate or other stones behind as well etc....
I have some more wood also and know it doesn't need to be there but it was just a suggestion given to me I thought I'd try.

You've some very nice stone, but need a lot more - you want to close in all the gaps or you'll never stop the soil migrating through
You've formed a decent base with your stones, but now need to add texture & break up any even lines across the front - though perhaps it's not as linear as the photo appears - including a top down photo will more clearly show stone position

The wood you've chosen is much finer than in the linked aquascape, so think on how to best use it - definitely need more to balance the stone

Which will be your main viewing angle to the tank?

Have you watched George Farmer's video?

Live Aquascaping Workshop at Garnelenhaus, Germany

You've some very nice stone, but need a lot more - you want to close in all the gaps or you'll never stop the soil migrating through
You've formed a decent base with your stones, but now need to add texture & break up any even lines across the front - though perhaps it's not as linear as the photo appears - including a top down photo will more clearly show stone position

The wood you've chosen is much finer than in the linked aquascape, so think on how to best use it - definitely need more to balance the stone

Which will be your main viewing angle to the tank?

Have you watched George Farmer's video?

Live Aquascaping Workshop at Garnelenhaus, Germany

It is quite straight at the minute and needs a lot of adjustment and filling out. I have amended the first post of the thread as I hadn't explained things at all!
I need to think about using some smaller pieces of stone and more of them. I was going to put some pieces of plastic in the gaps to stop the substrate sliding forward and then plant in the gaps at the front
No, I've not watched it - will have a look.
Main viewing angle in picture below, there is a 600 next to it also now but not in the picture.
20171228_072320.jpg

If you watch the video, you'll see George's solution to Soil Movement ;)

The 600 will block any side view so I'd place focal stones/plants farther along to the right

A couple of months have passed and the hobby I thought would relax me I have actually found quite stressful and lost a bit of the enjoyment so I walked away from this for a while.
I thought I would have a quick play with a few stones and see where that got me; I know I still want to add some more stones and wood along with plugging up some holes but I'd appreciate some feedback so far and some pointers too would be great!
Cheers

20180424_140653.jpg
20180424_140707.jpg

Awesome

So much better than earlier attempts :)

couple of months have passed and the hobby I thought would relax me I have actually found quite stressful and lost a bit of the enjoyment so I walked away from this for a while.
I'm sad to read that - the hobby should be about enjoyment not performance to some expectations of scapes

Every time you tear down a tank & do over, you learn
- you can look at all the photos but that won't teach you how to actually ride a bike, why should aquascaping be any different

Have you looked at those first tanks from George Farmer & Dan Crawford & Mark Evans (just a few that come to mind that I looked at when I discovered this forum) - they are nothing like their scapes a year or three later, but there has been loads of practise & discovery between

Awesome

I'm sad to read that - the hobby should be about enjoyment not performance to some expectations of scapes

Thanks Alto. I also really needed to hear that.
So easy to forget, isn't it?!

For what it's worth, I love the last idea and look forward to where things go from there.
But what do I know lol ;)

I know what you mean about stressful. However, remember what we are doing is spending time arranging rocks and wood in a glass box. It's inherently ridiculous and that should not be forgotten!

As to your rocks, good stuff. How does it look if you move the big one on the right more to the centreish (the inspiration scape you posted above has the main rock placed more centrally)?

Andrew all that really matters as a hobbyist is that when u look at the art u have created u get enjoyment. what other think is imaterial because at the end of the day it's ur heart soul and devotion that has created the lil under water world that has been a part of ur everyday life for weeks month even years in some cases I know my lil scape isn't great and there are thing I can do better next time but I don't care I've seen it through and loved every second with it just remember it's a hobby that will get easier with each scape or that what i tell myself good luck bro

Well; I decided that learn by doing is the only way forward and I can't keep getting stressed out by things as that does just take the enjoyment from the hobby.
I'm going to see how this one goes so I've got some water in there and will add a few more stones and move the wood around until I'm happy enough

20180424_164634.jpg
20180424_173343.jpg
20180424_173350.jpg

Back