• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Opinions please

I think you could find some more interesting angles out of the stones. All look so symmetrical now. My short tip: Go back and make a new hardscape.

For most of the times it's easier to start with something new and fresh rather than trying fix a bad scape.
If you don't like the new scape you could just go back to this one because you have good photos of it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
I was going to take it all out, level it off again and have a look; see if there's any stones I have that would suit better.

So I had everything out this morning and there's a stone I really like and @Danny pointed out might work.
I found a stone I think goes with it and seems to marry up perfect but that's it I'm now stuck again!
Do these work and should I carry on playing with them, should I just go back and play with what I had or just try and find something completely different again?
Bad photos as usual but might give you the idea.

20180226_134237.jpg
20180226_134244.jpg
20180226_134258.jpg
20180226_134306.jpg

So I had everything out this morning and there's a stone I really like and @Danny pointed out might work.
I found a stone I think goes with it and seems to marry up perfect but that's it I'm now stuck again!
Do these work and should I carry on playing with them, should I just go back and play with what I had or just try and find something completely different again?
Bad photos as usual but might give you the idea.

View attachment 113554 View attachment 113555 View attachment 113556 View attachment 113557

Play with just these two rocks till you find something that works. Maybe add a third rock. The main stone should not be facing that direction. It doesn't make it look big enough. Try make the flow to one of the sides and slightly to the front for a more dominant impression

That's really nice rocks anyway You should be able to create something nice

Play with just these two rocks till you find something that works. Maybe add a third rock. The main stone should not be facing that direction. It doesn't make it look big enough. Try make the flow to one of the sides and slightly to the front for a more dominant impression

That's really nice rocks anyway
emoji1303.png
You should be able to create something nice
Well I've added a third rock but the more decorative faces of the stones are the ones that can be seen and that is why they are this way around.
I'm not sure I'm trying to create a 'traditional Iwagumi' just something that is balanced and looks nice (that's probably a traditional iwagumi!)

3.jpg
3a.jpg
3b.jpg

I'm personally not a fan of rules and styles. Art isn't something you can say "this is right and this is wrong" in my opinion

But there is some guidelines that really will help and I think that you need to work more with the way stones are placed rather than what is the most interesting texture. Textures are also important but if the layout isn't pleasing it doesn't matter if there is beautiful cracks in the stones.

What plants are you planing? Only carpeting?

I think that you need to work more with the way stones are placed rather than what is the most interesting texture
Would you prefer to see a flat surface over a textured one?
How would you personally adjust the rocks then?
I might put something with a bit of height at the back but I was going to stick to quite a simple layout carpeted yes.

I like this, I would create a much higher bank on the left and move it all over then add some smaller falloff stones to the right scattered around.

Attachments

• 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 105
Would you prefer to see a flat surface over a textured one?
How would you personally adjust the rocks then?
I might put something with a bit of height at the back but I was going to stick to quite a simple layout carpeted yes.

Depends how flat it is..

Try placing the tallest rock on its side instead. And make the middle stone the tallest by adding more substrate. Take the soil from left corner and let the substrate slope from where the middle stone is placed.

This is something you can just try

Andrew what happened this is amazing !
To be honest I just plonked some stones in and ignored the opinions of others about the 2 or 3 stones I already had in.
Thanks for the advice @Danny !
I have had dry tanks for a little while so it will give me chance to get used to keeping some easy plants and enjoy looking at them and as I say if I decide I don't like it I can just rip it all out and re-scape it.
I think this will be my practice tank and hopefully as I practice more I will find it easier.

I just wanted to get one of my tanks wet so I added a few stones and planted it out, if I don't like it I can just rip it all out when it's grown in and put the plants in a propagator while I spend a bit more time on it.

View attachment 113732 View attachment 113733

Your layout looks good as it is now, but i think if you added just a little more dirt to the center of the tank where the rock formation is and slowly sloped it out just a little it would look even nicer...

Just my 0.2 cents :)

Your layout looks good as it is now, but i think if you added just a little more dirt to the center of the tank where the rock formation is and slowly sloped it out just a little it would look even nicer...

Just my 0.2 cents :)
Thanks for the input. I'm just going to let it grow in now, get my 900 going then take it apart in around 6 months and have another go.

Andrew

I have had dry tanks for a little while so it will give me chance to get used to keeping some easy plants and enjoy looking at them and as I say if I decide I don't like it I can just rip it all out and re-scape it.
I think this will be my practice tank and hopefully as I practice more I will find it easier.

You have given your self the best advice that could be given. Keep doing what you are doing learn and enjoy your hobby.

Keith:wave::wave:

I just wanted to get one of my tanks wet so I added a few stones and planted it out, if I don't like it I can just rip it all out when it's grown in and put the plants in a propagator while I spend a bit more time on it.

View attachment 113732 View attachment 113733

Beautiful! The stones added really made it look balanced! Great work!

Back