• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

opinions please

i think roy s asked about these.
they say you can't replace the ballast.don't see why unless you can't take it apart :? .but if not then it will last as long as the ballast.
no one will know what they're like until some one buys one.
fancy being the guinea pig :lol: .

£50? Wow, thats a great price for a 120cm luminaire! And its from a UK shop so its much easier to chase them up if it goes bang. Not bad at all.

im very tempted to have a go...
i either spend £60 (inc p+p) on that, or speand £155 (inc p+p) on buying an expensive one. Even if it does go bang, i can buy another for the less than the price of the 'more expensive one'

i have and i thought about it but mine is a large 4 foot. its 4x2x2 so i need quite a lot of light due to the height of the tank.

even if i ran both dans tubes i would get 78w of light, whereas the ebay one i would get 110w (if i ran two out of four)

110w would give me 1wpg which im hoping will be enough for hairgrass and blyxa etc.

Yeh think you might just have to try and see with that light unit. Don't forget that you'll probably need to replace the bulbs as those marine ones probably aren't suitable for plants.

If you do get one, please let us know what its like, as it is a bargain price if it can live up to the expectations. I guess at the end of the day if the lights turn on, then it should be fine.

Sam

the question is where would i find a tropical replacement bulbs?
i havent a clue where to find them!

also, can i have your opinion on how much light i will actually need. The tank is a 4x2x2 and it is a 130 (US gal)
the height is quite large (60cm(2ft)) so i do need some strength in my lights.
what total wattage would people suggest i use to be able to grow most plants well but not at rediculous speeds. (medium growth) should i aim for 1WPG, 1.5WPG 2WPG?

Perhaps start with 1WPG and go from there? 1.5WPG on a large tank is probably actually med to high light.

You may have to see what the light bulb fittings are before you know what to replace them with, but my gut feeling is that these would probably be suitable.

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/55-Watt_2

Sam

PS - as a side note, I wouldnt worry too much about not being able to replace the ballast, it should last a good few years anyway, if not longer.

Hi sorry to hijack your thread. I've been looking at these and beening think of getting one myself. They a Uk base company and you can fit any company tubes I belive. I,ve got a price for the size to fit my tank which was £73 inc p/p which I thought was good. You could see if they sell one for your tank. Sorry again for hijacking your thrad.
Jon
Here is the link.www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-lighting-2897-0.html
www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/black-t5-lig ... 886-0.html

but it says 120cm so surely that will fit my 120cm tank? :D

i guess you dont have a 120cm tank, and you have asked if they do other sizes? am i correct?

i might get one and be the guinea pig.

Back