• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions

Graham1426

Hi all

Currently have a 30 ltr nano, which after decor displacement holds 24 ltrs.

Heavily planted, CO2 injection, daily dose of 1ml Flourish.

Filtration provided by Eheim classic 150 cannister filter and an internal Dennerle internal filter rated 150 lph.

Current stocking levels are 5 chilli rasboras, 4 pygmy Cory's, 2 oto's and 15 fire red shrimp.

I would like to add a further 6 -10 more chilli rasboras, is this feasible with my current filtration.

All parameters are spot on, tank has been running for 10 weeks.

Thanks

Graham

I think it would be fine. Maybe also consider more corydoras since they like groups. I would remove the internal filter unless you specifically need it - more space for plants etc.

I had 60p tank, eheim classic 350 with the following stock:

10 Emperor tetra
12 Ember tetra
12 Cardinal tetra
5 Otocinclus
2 Blue Rams
Shrimps and snails.

Most would consider this overstocked yet I have undetectable NH3, NO2, NO3 (unless I dose) and low PO4 due to the good filtration and heavy planting. I expect that my tap water is very low in nitrates so your mileage may vary, but I would go for it.

Hi all,
and heavy planting
I think it should be OK as well, but you would need heavy planting, ideally with <"some floating plants">.

The fish you have are all small fish, so there shouldn't be an exponential increase in ammonia production as they grow. I probably wouldn't add any more Corydoras, if you add the Raspbora, but four would be an absolute minimum for them. They aren't the easiest fish to feed and like really small food items.

If you don't have a <"Micro or Banana worm culture">, I'd definitely get one, your Corydoras and Raspbora will really like them <"as a food item">, and they cost pennies to keep.

You would also need to keep an eye on the Cherry Shrimp population, and make sure that it doesn't get out of hand. Although the shrimps aren't adding much in the way of bioload individually if you really have a lot of them it will add up.

cheers Darrel

I've always found this a difficult discussion... some say 1cm of fish per ltr, some say 1cm per 0,5 ltr, personally I tend to go by eye. If it looks crowded, then it probably is, and reverse. But I've also seen many tanks that I would say are heavily overcrowded, doing fine... I'd recon a group of 10-12 chilis would fit, 15 might be a tad much but they are such tiny fish... I'd add 5 first, then see how it looks and keep an eye on everything.

some say 1cm of fish per ltr, some say 1cm per 0,5 ltr,
Any 'rule' of that nature is simply wrong. ( I appreciate you're not advocating it btw)
It suggests a 50l tank can have 50 1cm fish or 25 2cm fish. If the fish are of a similar type a 2cm fish is about 8x the body weight of a 1cm fish, so 25 x 2cm fish is about four times the bio-load of 50 x 1cm fish.
Also, for instance, an 8cm cichlid is much bigger than an 8cm Kuhlii Loach.
There are differences between active and sedentary fish, both in terms of bio-load aand in their need for swimming space.
It's another piece of 'advice' that drastically oversimplifies a complicated situation and leads to problems.
You're right about judging by eye, once you have the experience to do so, it's probably the best way.

Back