• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Options? External Filter 100-150L tanks

skinz180189

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
325
Location
Selby, N.Yorks
I'm looking for a 100-150 litre tank, and want to get some ideas for filtration whilst on the look out for a tank. This time I want to go external filter, it needs to be quiet as it's in my bedroom, and reasonably cheap. I'd like to spend no more than £50/60 if possible (don't mind second hand so that opens some options up). Any thoughts? I looked at Eheims on ebay but none seem to fit too well budget wise ATM.
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
5,001
Location
Copenhagen
I personally would get a 3foot tank as everything will be proportionately cheaper. If you're in the 100=150 ball park then you're aiming for 10times as a minimum this would be 1000lph-1500lph but more would be better, ideally two or 3 times that figure. I believe the supafish externals are good for their money but I've never had any experience with one.
 

skinz180189

Member
Thread starter
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
325
Location
Selby, N.Yorks
Garuf said:
I personally would get a 3foot tank as everything will be proportionately cheaper. If you're in the 100=150 ball park then you're aiming for 10times as a minimum this would be 1000lph-1500lph but more would be better, ideally two or 3 times that figure. I believe the supafish externals are good for their money but I've never had any experience with one.

3 foot isn't much of a difference from my 2ft 60L though. I really would like to double the 60L in size as I plan to scrap the 60 & 40L altogether. Plus a 4 foot would fit just nicely where my 60L is lol.
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
5,001
Location
Copenhagen
Hmm that might be true but even an 80cm is a lot more thank than a 60cm, especially in terms of maintenance, when I was running my 45cm tank I could do a water change trim and general tidy in less than an hour, for my 60cm the whole exercise took on average an hour and a half.
 

skinz180189

Member
Thread starter
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
325
Location
Selby, N.Yorks
Garuf said:
Hmm that might be true but even an 80cm is a lot more thank than a 60cm, especially in terms of maintenance, when I was running my 45cm tank I could do a water change trim and general tidy in less than an hour, for my 60cm the whole exercise took on average an hour and a half.

WHAT! Takes me about 45 minutes at most in the 60cm for a 50% water change and a trim up. I'm going to be staying low light/ferts and maybe liquid CO2 with this, and it's a fairly steady growing tank bar the wisteria.
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
5,001
Location
Copenhagen
Yeah man, 60% water change, clean all the glass wear, lillys etc, refill the bubble counter, clean the tank sides, trim plants net off any spare leaves, refill the tank, clean the filter pipework. It all takes time!
 

skinz180189

Member
Thread starter
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
325
Location
Selby, N.Yorks
Garuf said:
Yeah man, 60% water change, clean all the glass wear, lillys etc, refill the bubble counter, clean the tank sides, trim plants net off any spare leaves, refill the tank, clean the filter pipework. It all takes time!

AH, but i'm staying away from CO2 injection so that's a lot of the work gone right there :)
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
5,001
Location
Copenhagen
Mmm true, I do love a hi tech tank though. It all depends on your situation really. If you've the time and energy to do a hi tech then it really is the way forward if not then low tech can be just as pretty with good scaping materials.
 

skinz180189

Member
Thread starter
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
325
Location
Selby, N.Yorks
Garuf said:
Mmm true, I do love a hi tech tank though. It all depends on your situation really. If you've the time and energy to do a hi tech then it really is the way forward if not then low tech can be just as pretty with good scaping materials.

I can't commit to a High Maintenance unfortunately, particularly when at least 3 months a year solid I have to work 12 days, 2 off, 12 nights, 2 off in that sequence for 10.5hr shifts, plus other commitments too :(
 

Nick16

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
1,761
Location
Surrey, UK
yep go with a 3 foot, something like a rekord 120 (120L) i have one and they are super, i think they have been re named now though, something like a rekord 110?
yeah maintainence takes time, if it doesnt you are short cutting or not doing enough, i always keep my hood clean as well and perhaps clean my reflector every 2-3 weeks to maintain good light output, my anubias certainly agree!
 

skinz180189

Member
Thread starter
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
325
Location
Selby, N.Yorks
Nick16 said:
yep go with a 3 foot, something like a rekord 120 (120L) i have one and they are super, i think they have been re named now though, something like a rekord 110?
yeah maintainence takes time, if it doesnt you are short cutting or not doing enough, i always keep my hood clean as well and perhaps clean my reflector every 2-3 weeks to maintain good light output, my anubias certainly agree!

I don't need to trim it every week, bar the odd dead leaf. I give the glass a scrape, give the gravel a good vacuuming, knock all the rubbish out from the plants and syphon it up, strip the filter down and clean it all out, clean the heater weekly and give the inside of the hood a clean every few weeks. I don't see how that's short cutting/not being thorough but never mind.
 

mattyc

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2008
Messages
518
Location
Thelwall, Warrington
there are two realistic options for a filter rated at 1200 l/h fluval 405 or the Tetratec EX1200. most people reccomend the EX1200
 

Similar threads

Top