• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Organic Soil

MbeforeT

Seedling
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding the use of potting or top soil in an aquarium.

A family member has asked me to create an aquascape for them, but the tank in question is rather large and so buying an aquatic substrate is unfortunately too expensive.

I've had personal success with John Innes No.2, but due to the current state of affairs with Covid-19, my local garden centres are in short supply of most soils.

Going to try Homebase in the next few days but I'm unsure of the sort of soil I need to be looking for. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Stay safe all.
20200522_160929.jpg

If you've had success with JI no2, that's great - but with double the blend (as it were) there is a lot of nutrients in that soil, and could be a disaster if any of it gets into the water column.

If you go into the garden with a spade, just take some from there (under your grass would be a good place to get it) mix this with some sand, and then cover!

Back