• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Original Rio300 Lighting

Ace

Seedling
Alright, id love to start planting my tank. ATM I have African Cichlids (Mbuna), Which I hope to trash, and replace with community fish such as Neon Tetra, GOlden Rams and Corydoras. At the minute I have two T5 55W bulbs, I just wondered if this would be alright or would I need more?

Hi,
I wouldn't suggest getting more light until you get a handle on what your goals are going to be for this tank. Will this be a CO2 injected tank? If so, worry about your injection techniques and your dosing methods long before worrying about adding more light. Adding too much light is the most popular mistake.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
I wouldn't suggest getting more light until you get a handle on what your goals are going to be for this tank. Will this be a CO2 injected tank? If so, worry about your injection techniques and your dosing methods long before worrying about adding more light. Adding too much light is the most popular mistake.

Cheers,

Thanks for that mate, I just want a nice planted community. I dont want it too look like a low end tank, But then again I know I wont be able to achieve a high end tank, So im just looking for something in the middle. Maybe special substrate, Lighting, Ferts but no CO2? I dont know...

I would go for CO2 but im worried about the safety of a pressurised Canister, and from what I understand on a tank my size, Pressurized is really the only sensible option?...

Yeh for a 300lt you'd need pressurised CO2, as yeast just wouldn't cut it. What is you're nervousness about the cylinder? Its no different to having a fire extinguisher in the house or office, in fact thats what most of us use! :lol: Those things are designed to have very high tolerances. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it but I've knocked my cylinder over several times, directly onto the reg, apart from busting the reg, nothing happened (much to my relief!) so you needed worry to much, just be sensible with it i.e. make sure its properly secured (I've now purchased a fire extinguisher hook for less than a fiver which I screwed to the wall very easily) and make sure it doesn't get hot, i.e. next to the cooker!

Sam

Its if my house caught fire, it would explode lol. And I think Its go a big chance of being knocked over...., Im thinking of just having it upstairs and doing it on a smaller scale. 48"15"15".

Back