• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

osmocote, how much ?

eminor

Hello, there are tons of different tips of how to dose osmocote capsules, i have a ~15 gallons tank, lots of plants, how much capsules can i put ? thx

and when add new ones ? thx

MrClockOff

I used to use Tropica and TNC which I believe both using some type of Osmocote. Tropica I’ve been replacing once every 3 month and TNC every 5 or 6 months

Just follow directions on the package.

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hello, there are tons of different tips of how to dose osmocote capsules, i have a ~15 gallons tank, lots of plants, how much capsules can i put ? thx

and when add new ones ? thx
If you intend to dose the water column, especially using the EI method then I would advise against using osmocote, which is extremely high in toxic ammonia. You never really need to spend more money on root tabs as all you need to do is to prepare small ice cubes using water that you have added a high concentration of potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate to, then after freezing place the cubes in the substrate. In this way you avoid the danger of toxicity.
In any case, the substrate naturally builds levels of nutrients from all the uneaten food and feces that make their way into the substrate. This is really not something you need to worry about. Too many people complicate their lives with all kinds of things that don't really matter, while ignoring the things that matter the most.

Cheers,

erwin123

When I googled to learn more about root tabs/osmocote, I was brought to the 55-page Barr Report 'Rotala Kill Tank' thread.

not that I would try it for my main tank, but if I had a spare tank for running experiments.....