• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Other projects....

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi,
anybody busy creating any other projects with tanks in this unprecedented time?

Whilst not working and housebound I’ve pulled the old aquanano 40 from hibernation as my youngest has expressed an interest in having a tank in his room. My eldest has had his own tank for about 3 years now (he’s 11) which we look after together and is a great way of teaching them many things.....

Anyway, not a manicured scape but thought I’d go down the non co2 low tech route and look to add shrimp, snails and perhaps some nano fish in the future.

Used the wood I had from NAtural Jurassic and a couple of bits of seiryu, some old sand and gravel and bought a 3kg bag of tropica soil as I feel this helps stabilise water conditions for shrimp. Bought a bunch of epiphyte plants delivered from my local and went about knocking up a simple scape with the kids.
Tried out some different woods before the bogwood, and ended up with some crazy looking brute that no. 2 son loved so went with it.....

Tried it out on some old gravel first:

AC499244-C949-4CA1-9AAA-CF4627D71966.jpeg

Then once decided, pulled it all out and refined the substrates, added soil to the rear and planted up. Literally imaged right after filling.

7ABA59ED-2D97-4E50-AEF5-F59C54803512.jpeg

Kinda fun little tank, wood looks a bit like a sea monster, a dragon or a rhino or something. We’re using the original 15w aqua one light that came with the tank so will see how things fare. Aquascaper all in one fertiliser will be dosed at low tech 1ml/50l dosage (so 1ml/day) and fingers crossed can plod along very slowly without too much intervention :D

Plants are anubias nana, petite, microsorum windelov, microsorum trident, buce wavy green, buce tropica red and some spiky moss from member Filip Krupa....(see how that fares low tech) There is also some old dried moss left over from Natural Jurassic on one piece of wood which I’ve left on just to see if any comes to life.
Added a bit of carbon to the filter as there is a new piece of bogwood in there that will leach tannins.
No heater, just room temp which will likely be about 21-22 celcius.
Will leave it running for a few days as is to settle, then I plan to seed the filter with some existing bio media and water from my existing tank in the hope of skipping the cycle and being able to add some livestock relitively quickly starting with some snails.

cheerio,
Ady.

Last edited:
View attachment 133208 Yeah my 5 year old son has a tank in his bedroom we look after that together well I look after it he put all the wood and rocks in place he asked if we could scape an dinosaurs jungle about a month ago
Cool, love the skulls, treasure chest and dinosaurs. My eldest has skulls in his tank.
5 years old, that is teaching them young but great, live plants too, lucky boy :thumbup:

Trying a bit of scapingo_O

Attachments

• 20200403_135358.jpg
    20200403_135358.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 20200403_135419.jpg
    20200403_135419.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 20200403_230142.jpg
    20200403_230142.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 101
@Ady34 he loves it mate he was so careful putting his rocks and wood in place telling me where he wanted his plants to.go and his dinosaurs and skull was his pride and joy it home to a red betta and cherry shrimp

Thanks Jay. Had loads of this some from walks with the dog and a lot of azalea root bought Good time to try things out.

Thanks Jay. Had loads of this some from walks with the dog and a lot of azalea root bought Good time to try things out.
Certainly is :artist:

I’m still working at the moment, kept on to deliver a big project into the organisation. But as of 15th I look forward to getting some time to add my own efforts to this page... all the best everyone - stay safe and stay sane ;)

@Jayefc1 absolutely love the dinosaurs jungle. It’s the only tank I’ve seen with kids toys in that I actually like... you have a young Amano on your hands there!

@Ady34 loving the crazy wood monster! Wonder if the tank might benefit from a fast growing stem or some floating plants initially?

@PARAGUAY keep sending photos as your scape evolves!!!

Great thread ady, you have inspired me my 7 year old son keeps asking for an aquarium in his room now i am thinking maybe a nano shrimp and betta setup and let him choose some things to go into it and low tech plants.

Great thread keep it going, i build a bird house last week with a fence board but working this week as HGV mechanic.

Thanks dean
e3a4be63f1ecb3d746e560eed4da8f10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

To be honest I’m loving this little project a little too much. Few extra bits added including a couple of buce from my main tank harvested from trimming to maintain shape and lines in re-education.
I need to move the buce on the top right wood as it is out of place, however I’m finding the little tank really interesting and I’m looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

BC667664-1B85-4B09-8EE5-98AF121710AE.jpeg

Not normally one for detailing and graded gravels as I find them a bit of a pain to maintain with the fish I keep, but really liking the detail they offer in here. Shrimp, snails and maybe nano fish only in here so they may stay where they are supposed to......

3C78F746-9BD4-4E77-A865-5D60FE8FA289.jpeg

Cheerio,

Great thread ady, you have inspired me my 7 year old son keeps asking for an aquarium in his room now i am thinking maybe a nano shrimp and betta setup and let him choose some things to go into it and low tech plants.

Great thread keep it going, i build a bird house last week with a fence board but working this week as HGV mechanic.

Thanks dean
e3a4be63f1ecb3d746e560eed4da8f10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hope you do a little tank for your son, it’s a great way for them to learn.
Cool bird box too, looks very neatly put together :thumbup:

cheerio,

Back