Otocinclus Vestitus Fry

Superman

Re: I HAVE BABIES!

Today's update...

Only seen one of the fry in the breeding net. They're hiding tin the powerhead still. So don't want to remove that from the net!

The one I've seen, is getting some dark markings on it's body. Still very small.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Superman

Spotted one of the fry this morning skimming the surface and swimming around.

Still very tiny, but pleased it survived the rescape.

Superman

JAmesM said:
Any more pics mate? The last pic reminds me of dragonfly larvae...

I'll try and get some later.
I'll look a right plonker if they're dragon fry larvae, they just look like mini ottos

tko187

Re: I HAVE BABIES!

LondonDragon said:
Congrats, I have both of those species in my tank for ages and none ever bred! Could it be something else?
I did send some moss to tk187 the other day and he ended up with 7 guppy fry in his tank LOL

Hey Ld thanks for the mosses, and there were more than 7 last count i believe i seen 15. Not sure what im gonna do with them?? Any ideas or does anybody want them, hey i could post them back to you....hehe :lol:

Superman

It can't be dragon fry larvae. Cos it's not no legs.

Caught a quick photo of this little dude who's getting the adults markings now.

2008-08-17004.jpg

Superman

Still going well, still swimming about.
Only seen one at a time now and think it's the same one.
Slowly getting bigger and bigger.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Superman

Found the little one on top of a leaf floating in the net so had to hurry to get a photo, only managed one, hope you can see him/her...

2008-08-26.jpg

Superman

thanks
It's in a breeding net in the main tank, I don't have a spare tank anymore.

They seem to spawn in cooler water and found the eggs and fry a day after a water change.
I have noticed in the past few days some signs that they've been having nocturnal fun but no eggs found as yet. These haven't been around recently but my co2 injection has been playing up until a few days ago.

My females, maybe three, are very heavy with eggs and have been for a while.

I don't think I've done anything special to get them to spawn, I must just have kinky Ottos!

Superman

I'm sorry to announce that whilst continuing to feed the same items, Baby Otto passed away yesterday.

Obviously, not sure what happened, but am rather upset as this is my first fry that I've attempted to raise.

The Ottos have been making new babies but not been able to catch the eggs yet, so next time I might be successful.

The only thing different would be to have a small aquarium solely for the fry.

aaronnorth

That's a shame, s/he was doing well too, i though it might of stood a good chance with it being born in the tank water so not as bad as having to acclimatise like with new otto's.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hard luck mate, was looking good, maybe they will breed again soon ;)
What I find about those maternity units is that they are not ideal to have fish in them for a long time, water doesn't seem to move through them pretty well. Would have done better on its own tank really, but thats a bit of a pain to setup just for one fry! Better luck next time.

I had the same problem with ottos fry. I had about 20 of them and despite normal feed, fry feed, powder feed, algae feed, they still succumb. I could see them emaciating away prior to their doom though. I reckon it's the food and they are not eating

Superman

Due to the curved nature of what I think are eggs in the photo below (near the spray bar) I have some more Otto eggs. I doubt they're pencilfish as never seen any spawning of them and my CPDs are egg scatters.

I'm trying to finish my optiwhire asap to put these in.

20090102.jpg