• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otocinclus Vestitus Fry

Superman

Not sure if they're harlequins or Ottos but I have three fry hiding behind the powerhead. I didn't do my water change as didn't want to upset them.

What do people suggest I do?

2008-08-11002.jpg

Re: I HAVE BABIES!

Try and catch them and pop them into a breeding net :)

They should be small enough to "suck" them up with a length of air line one at a time to move them :) It's worked for me in the past, though my last lot of babies were too clever for that trick ;)

SteveUK said:
Try and catch them and pop them into a breeding net :)

They should be small enough to "suck" them up with a length of air line one at a time to move them :) It's worked for me in the past, though my last lot of babies were too clever for that trick ;)

I'll have to buy a breeding net then...

Doh!

Well, they look very young :) Still got their yolk sacks. What would you prefer them to be, Otos or Harles? For me, I think Otos would be cooler, as I thought they can be difficult to breed (I could be wrong!)

Congrats, I have both of those species in my tank for ages and none ever bred! Could it be something else?
I did send some moss to tk187 the other day and he ended up with 7 guppy fry in his tank LOL

LondonDragon said:
Congrats, I have both of those species in my tank for ages and none ever bred! Could it be something else?
I did send some moss to tk187 the other day and he ended up with 7 guppy fry in his tank LOL

It could only be some pesky small snails - nope, as these have tails that waggle!
Could be MTS - but these have waggley tails!

I'm thinking they'd be Ottos as they'd be the only ones that'd fit behind there!

I dunno... Those babies will have swam their on their own. When they're wrigglers with the yolk sack they tend to swim against the glass for the first few days. I'd assume that the rest have been eaten and these are the survivers who happened to swim behind the power head.

Good luck to the little fellas :)

Things like Liquifry No 1 and JBL Nova Baby:

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ath=83_269

I have the Nova Baby set which comes with 3 tiny tubs. Number 1, 2 and 3. 1 being a fine powder, 2 being a tiny flake and 3 being a slightly larger flake (still small!)

They still have their yolk sacks and will feed off that for the next day or so I think. When that's gone they'll need some fry food. Also, maybe try getting some sort of baby brine shrimp hatchery? Might be a little overkill for 3 fry though :)

SteveUK said:
Things like Liquifry No 1 and JBL Nova Baby:

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ath=83_269

I have the Nova Baby set which comes with 3 tiny tubs. Number 1, 2 and 3. 1 being a fine powder, 2 being a tiny flake and 3 being a slightly larger flake (still small!)

They still have their yolk sacks and will feed off that for the next day or so I think. When that's gone they'll need some fry food. Also, maybe try getting some sort of baby brine shrimp hatchery? Might be a little overkill for 3 fry though :)

I'll have an emergency trip to AquaJardin tomorrow. I'm sure they'll have something in for fry.

I'm pleased to announce that I've transferred at least 3 of the fry to a breeding net. Found two eggs which are in there too. I have found another few fry but was unable to catch them as one of my net's gaps in the thread was too large.

I can properly see their black eyes now and they seem to be baby Otos. I've had to leave the pump in the net for a while as think they're hiding inside it.

I've fed a few drops of the liquifry. Fingers crossed...

Any top tips?

Once the yolk sacs have been absorbed then I think baby Otos will need greenery. I give my suckermouth cats Nori sheets that you can buy from the marine section of an aquarium shop or any shop that sells Japanese food. They love it and it lasts a long time before it breaks down. I feel it must be more nutritious than cucumber! I think I remember a breeding report of someone who bred whiptail cats giving them mashed squash too and raising loads of them on that.

awesome. baby otos sounds like a real achievement 8)

If you go the cucumber route I recommend to buy organic! My otos much prefer them! :wideyed:

Back