• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otto disappeared

justjason88

Hi guys

Impulse bought 6 Ottos on Wednesday at the LFS, 4 for the main tank and 2 for the cube. The 4 in the main are doing absolutely fine, all have been observed to move about and eat algae and rasp on different plants and tank sides.

The cube is a lot different. At first both swam around happily finding all the algae and eating it. Now 1 has gone missing since thursday, i have literally looked in every nook and cranny for about half an hour and i just cannot see where the hell it is. It can't have jumped out and it can't have decomposed already if it died. Are they known for burrying under the soil? The 1 remaining is very docile, it sits on the soil for hours or rasping onto the glass and occasionally it will move. The tank is non-fish cycled for the last 3 weeks so it shouldn't be a nitrogen problem, the temp is aprox 22C and the CO2 isn't excessive (on at 3pm off at 9pm, DC showing lime green).

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot

Jason

It might have jumped mate, have alook behind the tank.
I hate losing fish, and otos are bloody hard to get right unless your tank is very settled and mature.

Kris

Kris youre right, thought i'd have another look and pulled the sofa out, found 1 very stiff otto underneath the cupboard. It must have jumped out and then hopped about the floor which is why i didn't find it the first time, such a shame! Thinking now whether to put the cube otto into the main tank with the others, that may be why he's so docile because they should be kept in groups of 4+ ?

Jason

Ah that's sad. I lost a hatchet like that 3 weeks ago. Fed it to the Oscar afterwards, he took it like a crisp .. Eugh.

Anyway, yes do that, but maybe drip acclimatise him in the bag first - just incase theres a composition difference
In the water. Hope he does okay in the large group. Good luck :)

Kris

It's also probably worth mentioning how these are caught in the wild with poisons and the stress they endure to get over here. Might take a few weeks for them to settle in any new tank, make sure there's lots of food for them to fatten up with as well :)

Back