• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otto Help

pat1cp

20220202_200801.jpg

Would appreciate any advice on this. Seems okay, but developed a white mark on head.

Could have gotten stuck somewhere and injured itself wriggling loose? Theres definite fungus in the wound.
Dip/Bath in appropriate medication and lots of waterchanges is what I'd do

Unfortunately dont have experience with medications using that ingredient..
I assume youve already conducted a basic google search on it, but doesnt say much about it other than aquariumwiki which states;
"Phenoxyethanol is often used as a fish sedative or anaesthetic but also has antibacterial and fungicide properties."
It seems like it should help, at least its not one of those medications that contains mostly hopes and prayers and a bit of essential oil or something.
Really sorry that I cant be of more help

that was my thought :confused: I'll try and get the otto out tonight and put him in a bucket and do it there. The instructions suggest that it's aquarium safe.

Yeeaahh I think this is better as a dip. I dont really care what the bottle has to say about it. You dont want to off all the other stuff living in your tank unless you really really have to.

Are you on the 'Tropical Fish Keeping UK' facebook group? There's experienced people on there running it and moderators who will be able to help. I recall that they advise against using that as the active ingredient is too harsh. Instead, Meth Blue baths in a tub and water changes

many thanks both @Hufsa @jamiepearson wish me luck.........he's like a torpedo. Failing that, I'll try @Wookii fish trap, though as I'm trying to catch an Otto and intice it in there with a piece of pepper or something, I suspect I'll end up with 200 shrimp, 100 snails and zero otto. I'll report back.

Last edited:
Ive just done a search on that FB page to see if I can help more. if it turns blue after a Meth Blue bath (in a tub, not the tank, it would destroy your filter) then it is fungus so use Esha 2000. If it's bacteria (unlikely, it doesnt appear to be, it does look like fungus) then Myxazin. But plenty of water changes either way

Back