Ottocinclus

PM

Oh god not Kingfisheries.

Three words:

POOR (quality fish)
CRAP (customer service)
RIP-OFF (prices)

Superman

I picked up some Ottocinclus Vestitus (I think that's the type of Ottos!) they seem to be settling in well.

EDIT: I got 5.

Pleccy22

Otocinclus can indeed live for 5 years, sometimes six. I would recommend a group of at least five.

GreenNeedle

Be very careful with your Otos though. Don't assume that they can get all their food from your tank. They will only eat certain types of algae and then once that's run out you may find some casualties!!!!!

Make sure you supplement their diet to avoid this.

Andy

Superman

SuperColey1 said:
Be very careful with your Otos though. Don't assume that they can get all their food from your tank. They will only eat certain types of algae and then once that's run out you may find some casualties!!!!!

Andy

Yes Andy. They're making light work of the algae that is in there so am keeping an eye if they go for the algae pellets or discs.

Will also try them on cucumber tomorrow too.

PM

Superman said:
SuperColey1 said:

Andy

Yes Andy. They're making light work of the algae that is in there so am keeping an eye if they go for the algae pellets or discs.

Will also try them on cucumber tomorrow too.

Get some stones (I use ADA riccia stones as they are flat) put them in a shallow tub of old tank water on a windowsil, and you have the best food supply for your ottos constantly! Just drop one into the tank when needed. They love it! :D

Superman

Do these get proper fat? Cos mine have a right bulge on them now. They don't look unhealthy just fat.
Someone said that a fat Otto is a happy Otto but they like balance on their belly when resting.
I'll try and get a photo.

Superman

Caught a few more snaps of my Ottos...

2008-07-25001.jpg

2008-07-25002.jpg

2008-07-25003.jpg

2008-07-25004.jpg

2008-07-25005.jpg

2008-07-25006.jpg

2008-07-25007.jpg

2008-07-25008.jpg

ulster exile

Lovely pics mate! Reminds of of those "yo momma so fat" jokes :lol: (which I'm allowed to use without offence cos I am one of those myself lol)

Here's my fatest one - been told it's full of eggs, but they've never spawned to my knowledge.

IMG_1032.jpg

Superman

daniel19831123 said:
yeap they are full of eggs! Just need to trigger the spawning. I use cold soft water for that!
Wow might try that. Never had fish spawn, to my knowledge!