• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ottocinclus

I had 3/4 in my tank but haven't seem them for ages, usually see on on lights out under the moonlight.
They used to be more active, how long they suppose to live for?

They can live for years I think, maybe up to 5! Good innings would be three years though. I have / had three, I only ever see two though, and that's only because I know where their hiding place is! Was considering getting more because basically I want to see them more - so maybe if they had some mates they'd be more active? Thing is though, having enough of the right type of algae to support more of them. And they do eat a hell of a lot for small fish.

I have tried to feed them all sorts (believe me I have tried EVERYTHING).

Only thing that works is I put a pot with old tank water on a windowsil with some riccia stones in and that growing some terrific algae in a few days - they love that. But if I get more, I might not be able to produce enough of it - esp. in the grey winter.

What size is your tank London Dragon? It's so hard to keep track of those little critters, as well as shrimp, I had five shrimp, and I only ever see two!!! :wideyed:

Here is my tank, it was just after a water change so every single fish & shrimp were hiding :rolleyes:

It's come a long way now though, i have windelov fern where the anubias is and the hairgrass has completley covered the substrate,

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1465

if you want a pic of the otocinclus then ask and i'll try and get a pic up later.

PM said:
I have tried to feed them all sorts (believe me I have tried EVERYTHING).

I know what you mean about the fussiness. For instance, Mine like cucumber - although they leave the skin if it ordinary Sainsburys cucumber. but if I buy the organic they eat the skin as well!

To be honest I only fed them regularly for the first couple of months of putting them in the tank (they can easily starve at that stage). Once they are past that stage I just check their bellies and if they look fat (which touch bogwood, they always do!) I don't add any extra food. (as rotten bits of cucumber are bad news!) I only have 2 of them in a 160L.

Hope that helps.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
woudlnt think so, theyre strictly veggie.
Thanks Matt, might just add them to my shrimp tank, any other fish that wouldn't eat them?

LondonDragon said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
woudlnt think so, theyre strictly veggie.
Thanks Matt, might just add them to my shrimp tank, any other fish that wouldn't eat them?

hms difficult one, most probably.. Oto's are unusual in their dietry preferences. What other species have you got?

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
hms difficult one, most probably.. Oto's are unusual in their dietry preferences. What other species have you got?
Starting a shrimp only tank, which is cycling at the moment, just wondered which fish would be safe to add in there, going to breed some red cheries and some crystal red.

aaronnorth said:
no, i keep RCS and otto's together and just found about 5 more fry today, if they do eat any it wil be minimal but it wont keep them under control!
Thanks, might be worth looking into it then ;) Although I haven't seen any ottos on sale anywhere around here for donkeys!

PM said:
It's called Keston aquarium, part of Wyvale Garden center. Their fish are absolutely top notch there, and the staff are fantastic! Last time I was there (probably a month ago, they literally had hundreds in one tank, they always have them in stock.
Its good to know, thanks :)

Back