• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ottos and Shrimp

Anybody had any joy at breeding ottos and what were the water parameters? Also wondering if they are kept in the same tank as RCS would the RCS eat the eggs and vice versa?

Thanks

I looked into this. All I could find was a high temp of around 26-27

Seems to be little information available. Most people have just realised there was more than they bought? I don't think the ottos would bother the shrimp not sure about the shrimp eating eggs though. I only have a 5gall tank has a potential home well planted with leaf litter so I guess if the shrimp would eat eggs it's a non-runner.
Fancying a bit of a low effort breeding project and I'm assuming the fry of otto accinclus could possibly survive with just algae in the tank without having to hatch brine shrimp or make cultures.

Hi all,
I think they should be OK together, Larry Waybright ("Apistomaster") keeps Red Cherry Shrimps with Corydoras hastatus breeding colony <View topic - Spawning Corydoras and shrimp>, and a lot of people keep them with various breeding L numbers successfully.
Otocinclus lay there eggs exactly like Cories, so I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

I think the main problem is that nearly all the accounts of breeding Otocinclus occurred in tanks with breeding Corydoras present, and in larger planted tanks. Otocinclus are quite sensitive fish so bigger tanks are usually more stable.

Have a look a this thread, but it is quite a long one <View topic - Otocinclus Breeding>.

cheers Darrel

Much appreciated Darrel, plenty of reading there. Yeah the tank volume is a worry stability wise. If not breeding them I suppose bare minimum it's a good peaceful home for the ottos. No co2 with bare minimum dosing. I may give this a try and move them into my main set up if it's going no where. Nothing ventured I suppose! The set up is in my office so I have plenty of time to keep an eye on things.

Back