• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Out with the old, in with the new (90x60x45cm)

Nuno Gomes

I've had my 90x45x45cm tank for about two years now, it was purchased used at a very low price and it made for a good oportunity for a budget scape.
Of course things never go that way with me and I found myself buying better light fixtures than I anticipated so the only things I saved money on were the tank and stand (crappy diy wood stand).
I had been thinking about an upgrade for a while and instead of taking the obvious step up to a 120cm, I went in a different direction, with a 90x60x45cm, hoping the extra depth would make a difference.

After a couple weeks I got a message saying it had arrived, supplied by ILA Europa and Ecoarium.

ks5AuFJ.jpg

Clear 10mm glass and lacquered aluminium stand, all good stuff

BQVIPYK.jpg

It does look and feel a lot bigger than the original, I was going to need better filtration than the single Hydor Pro 600 I was using on the "90p", so I'm using my Eheim Pro 4 250 as a secondary pump

XPYiZuX.jpg

Lighting and Co2 setup will remain the same, two Twinstar 900E V2 and a JBL Proflora CO2 atomizer, let's start scaping -

PxDrg5K.jpg

I don't have a lot of pictures of the process, mainly because I enjoy it way too much to bother to stop and take pictures :D

Ymq8o0R.jpg

Time to fill up

0zsCAuz.jpg

All done, this was also an opportunity to use some new and previously rare plants - like Anubias Snow White and Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost, all supplied by Aquaflora. , and some Microsorum Narrow Leaf purchased from a fellow Ukaps member.
The tank will show a new depth after the stem plants start showing themselves in the back (Rotala Hra, Rotala Orange Juice, Rotala Green and Juncus Repens).

pPXKDeV.jpg

I've been doing daily 50% water changes which I will keep up for the first couple weeks, let's see how this one unfolds.

Very nice scape and setup, love the wood

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the comments, I'm truly happy with this layout, and while I am planning on a few touches here and there, mostly in the rock and gravel work up front, I think it's a strong layout.
As for the wood, there's the giant piece of wood on the left, which weighs around 20kg, it was labeled as "mangrove" wood but it feels like some generic type of bogwood, as for the smaller pieces on the right, I picked them for the intricate textures and similar color to the main piece - these are called Hornwood. I feel like they complement the main piece nicely.

It's the end of the second week, everything running smoothly, plants are healthy and the first signs of algae are appearing, there's a very light coating of green on the top of some of the rocks, I'll be brushing them often and plan on introducing a few more Clithon Corona snails.
I've also added a bit more detail to the foreground by using Dennerle Baikal gravel, it matches the Seiryu stone pretty well, there's now a very nice transition from Seiryu stone to the baikal gravel and then to the Rio Xingu and river sand, I think it looks good, what do you guys think?

Z43fUgT.jpg

idEazHb.jpg

The stem plants are starting to show themselves at the back, I'm guessing the first trim will happen in a week or so

smYpDhM.jpg

Nice Rainbowfish. However I almost certain they will eat the shrimp I see in the tank.

They will probably eat a few once they get a taste for it but there are enough hiding places so that most of the population can survive. Then again this is something that happens in almost all tanks that have both fish and shrimp.

Back