• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Outdoor 2ft Tank

Hi guys this is my 5th tank in my small 75sqm apartment :p It lives out on my balcony and is generally neglected and has been running for a few months, it is going well, not much algae, I protect it from direct sunlight and it gets about 5hrs a day of LED light, this is more holding tank for trimmings etc from my other tanks, since adding co2 it really has taken off.

It is due for a good water change and I think I will add purigen to try clear up the tannins from the wood which I recently added. Also would like to add a few white clouds this weekend to try keep insects from breeding in this tank over summer.

36071893672_e92c860af6_c.jpg
IMG_0059 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

37042183995_348e9d6b82_c.jpg
IMG_0330 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Thanks for the kind words, simple is a good way to describe this tank, dont think ive really looked at this tank since taking the photo above, need to give it a water change tomorrow!

I added 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows today and took the heater out as its starting to warm up in Perth. I had to raise the spray bar to keep the co2 down, also turned it down a touch, will keep an eye on the fish but they seem happy, mainly hanging out in the open water but exploring around the whole tank, I am hoping they will eat any insects etc that decide to make home in the outdoor tank. With Summer coming up I am wondering what to do with the co2 setup, It may get a bit warm in the current location, perhaps will be ok, I could try make something to store the bottle and keep it cooler.

36880677860_8a5a416c02_c.jpg
IMG_0406
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Updated photo, had to move my co2 bottle up out of the way of the AC unit / warm air, its getting hot here in Western Australia and I am starting to use my AC unit and the tank sits right next to the condenser unit, will be interesting to see how the tank goes over summer, its fun to watch the minnows hunt any bugs that land on the water

37660298786_f493f0775a_b.jpg
IMG_0717
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

The Java fern looks so lush! What filter are you using? I'd like one like that for my 45p

Cheers! The filter is a "ista external mini canister filter 360lph" but I think this filter is only available in the Australian and Asia market, in Europe the Dennerle Scapers Flow external filter is basically the same thing, I use one on my 45p and also 60p they do the job for me, the supplied fine filter pad can get clogged quickly, I remove it after awhile

Need to thin out some Java Fern :p this tank makes me wish I had a big 4ft or 6ft tank so much fern so little room. There is a big mess of all different ferns here, some Vals at the back and even some crypts floating about long with other random plants, hopefully sort it out a bit over the xmas break. Spotted a shrimp getting about in the tank today, must have hitchhiked on some plants from another tank.

The Minnows seem to be doing well, tho have not spotted any new fish so I dont think they are breeding, perhaps I should add a few more (5 fish atm), the tank gets up to 32 degrees on warm days but seems to be copping

23964569037_b10a7aeb8b_b.jpg
IMG_0847
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Thanks guys, no real tricks here, the fern took awhile to get established but once it was establish it has grown really well, low light (even tho its outdoors I try protect it from direct sun) 24/7 co2 at a low level, checker stays a nice green, hardly any ferts and not many water changes.

Is it microsorum trident?

Its mainly just different varieties of narrow / needle leaf java fern, there is some trident and thors hammer in there somewhere but only a small amount, none of which i can really see in that photo

Nice and healthy growth! And I agree that you may want to thin it out a bit... although I'm betting your fish love it in there right now haha.

I will thin this mess of java fern out one day :p I have bunch of small crypts floating around in the tank along with other bits a pieces and I was able to clear the surface of the duckweed!

40879289682_723c37be0e_c.jpg
IMG_1390
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Looking at the increase in plant mass since Sept, seems like there soon won't be room left for water :eek:

I have a tank like that filled with java narrow leaf. Can't believe how dense it can grow and remain healthy. My brother was getting a tank so I let it grow in the 2ft to give him some. I know have enough to fill his proposed 4ft tank. The shrimps love it and so do I tbh.

Managed to offload a bit of Java Fern, the fish finally have space to swim! Still a mess of random plants, chucked in a bunch of Lilaeopsis that I plan to use emersed in a Goby tank... if I ever get around to it!

42184374102_577bff7069_z.jpg
IMG_1996 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Back