• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Outdoor plant identification (Anubias?)

cozmoz

Hi,

I found this plant growing in my girlfriends parents garden and was wondering if it was Anubias? No idea how it got although they leave near a few waterways. The leaves seemed very familiar to me. Thanks.

Attachments

• 001AE69F-2F97-4D72-B98B-28BCACDB5000.jpeg
    001AE69F-2F97-4D72-B98B-28BCACDB5000.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 5BE9D1AA-730C-4B8B-8290-D4D31F19FD96.jpeg
    5BE9D1AA-730C-4B8B-8290-D4D31F19FD96.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
  • 83D87E53-53F5-4865-9509-5FEF90297656.jpeg
    83D87E53-53F5-4865-9509-5FEF90297656.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 130
Thanks Darrel, I know it from it’s common name. I noticed in the other thread that it can be placed in ponds. Does it do well in aquarium conditions? If so should it be placed in the substrate, sat on it or attached to wood/rock?

Just read it grows to 25cm so I might put some in a small pond outside rather than an aquarium.

Hi all,
Thanks Darrel, I know it from it’s common name. I noticed in the other thread that it can be placed in ponds. Does it do well in aquarium conditions? If so should it be placed in the substrate, sat on it or attached to wood/rock?
That is the Zantedeschia rather than the Lords and Ladies.
Just read it grows to 25cm so I might put some in a small pond outside rather than an aquarium.
It will grow at least one metre tall, so it would need to be an internal pond, rather than a tank.

Cheers Darrel.

There is a Bog Arum - Calla palustris
https://www.puddleplants.co.uk/product/bog-arum/

Have growen it in an garden aqairium +/- 20 cm deep. Quite decorative actualy in both ways, emersed leaves and a submersed creeping stem over the substrate. 25 cm is about it's maximum height it is a marginal plant prefering shallow water. Thus not a plant for tall aqauriums. It also needs a well fertilized substrate.
dscf9240-jpg.jpg

dscf9267-medium-jpg.jpg

They die off in the fall, tho i was a bit late to take it indoors i could make it survive the winter as small green plant. But it needs a lot of light to grow some body indoors. Without ample light it goes dormant and slowly melts away. Not a plant that occurs in the tropics, but i think it can be growen as evergreen in subtropical conditions.. Since it is reported also growing on Galapagos Islands. See yellow dots bellow..
slangenwortel.jpg

Last edited:
I know your not planning on usjng it but be careful with Lords and ladies as it is quite poisonous. We have lots popping up in our local woodland and you should see berries later on in the year.

I know your not planning on usjng it but be careful with Lords and ladies as it is quite poisonous. We have lots popping up in our local woodland and you should see berries later on in the year.

I know they are.. But never noticed any ill effect handling them. I guess it's not meant for consumption..

How about Anubias actualy? Any reports on this beeing poisonous.. After all its close related.. :)

Back