• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Outflow pipes

Tonka3434

Seedling
hi I’m going to change my eheim canister filter outflow pipe as don’t like the diagonal flow it creates across my tank ,had this on my all pond solutions one I had and tried drilling holes to try and straighten flow direction but didn’t work,has any one found good replacement or alternative that has straight out flow?

Was more looking at sticking with long stick style outflow pipe as need even spread across surface.

If I understand what you mean @Tonka3434 you mean when the spray bar directs flow out of the holes like this...

Aerial View:

upload_2019-1-31_18-53-51.jpeg

Oh I see! I think you’ll have to diy your own spray bar. Would you not end up with a big dead spot in the middle?

You could try putting the spray bar along rear wall if that would suit you.

DIY spraybars are easy enough; you just need some time, money and patience - oh and some good DIY skills.
you can make sure the holes are all straight and in the centre of the pipe using a pillar drill and some pipe clips.
Using a tee in the middle makes things work better.

The bends are fun to do, I stated with some Eheim rigid tubing. I did you U shape as you come into the tank, then the 90 degree bend to run along the top of the tank all in one pipe. From a word of warning, you only really have one go at each bend, adding more heat and rebending just made it worse.

If I understand what you mean @Tonka3434 you mean when the spray bar directs flow out of the holes like this...

Aerial View:

View attachment 121364

Can you insert nozzles into the holes on the spray bar? i.e, make your own spray bar from a hard plastic tube with holes big enough to take small nozzles. The nozzle may be better at straightening the flow than the bar on it's own. I don't know if you could achieve a decent look though... Having said that, if the tank's flow is circular (like in the drawing) the return flow will affect what comes out of the bar anyway so not sure if the end result will be as desired unless the tank is long / flow reduced?

Just some thoughts that may not make sense! I'll stick with lily pipes.

Regards
Michael

There’s a larger conversation here about flow in general @Tonka3434 but in short the answer to your question is no from experience. I have seen spray bars that have little ‘nozzles’ petruding out of the holes on some smaller internal filter spray bars I suppose to control direction of flow.

But if water is being forced down a tube in one direction, some of that directional force will persist as it exits the holes in the spray bar.

I suppose the immediate question I have is why is the diagonal flow specifically a problem for you?

Lately i made a spraybar from the filter inlet tubes from this set..
xterne-potfilter-aquarium-en-uitlaat-buisleidingen.jpg

Its from sunsun HW-602-603-602b-603b filter set. It comes pretty cheap few dollars per set. Search aliexpress or banggood for it.
I bought several sets to use the spraybars as trickles for my sump. This left me with several filter inflows.

And i made a spraybar from the inflow tubes.. Than you get a spraybar in sections, depending on the width you need, 1 section is a bit over 10cm.
What makes it very easy, the tube has a straight line from the mold it was made in. Used this line to dril the holes straight over the tube. With for example 4 tubes fitted together for a 45cm wide tank. Than you can make each section spray in different directions up or down. You need to find or make a fitting end cap and make it fit to the hose connector. With a bit of diy skills rather easy..

Cheap and effective diy spraybar from the filter inlet. :thumbup:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads...its-finaly-happening.48576/page-3#post-526858

Geoffrey,flow is not massive problem more to make my giant vallis all flow up to surface and across the top of the surface as one side in corner of tank are not due to odd way it comes out of outflow.
Zozo,that might work out with having the nozzles on pipe will try track it down on eBay.
My diy skills are not the best to try making one as missus stands over me waiting to take over then messes it up anyway

Back